Head compatibility

slingshot

Hi guys, I just want to double check compatibility before I scrap this case.

Is the D drive a suitable candidate for head swapping into the P drive ?

Thanks as always
IMG_2967.JPG

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Over two years of difference in the date of manufacture. Virtually 0% chance the heads are compatible.

slingshot

Jared":2bgevpj5 said:
Over two years of difference in the date of manufacture. Virtually 0% chance the heads are compatible.

Thanks Jarad, I will order a newer donor and try that. I was just reading Ace's article on F3 donor compatibility checking so hope to be a bit more precise in the future ;)

slingshot

Im struggling to find a donor drive for this.
IMG_2967.JPG
Ive been through all the ones Ive got in stock and none have a pre amp code anywhere near whats needed.

I need a B6 04 pre amp and the closest I've got is a B6 64. It did ID the drive for a moment and then it gave up doing anything else, thats the closest I've got to squeezing any juice out of this thing :roll:

Anyone got any ideas on getting any donor matches for this heap of junk ?

thanks as always.

Blizzard

slingshot":2jwzfa84 said:
Im struggling to find a donor drive for this.
Ive been through all the ones Ive got in stock and none have a pre amp code anywhere near whats needed.
I need a B6 04 pre amp and the closest I've got is a B6 64. It did ID the drive for a moment and then it gave up doing anything else, thats the closest I've got to squeezing any juice out of this thing :roll:
Anyone got any ideas on getting any donor matches for this heap of junk ?
thanks as always.
Don't worry about the second part, you just need to match the B6. While it is nice to get a close date it does not mean it won't work. We use donors that are 1-2 years off quite often. You can see some examples and our Seagate donor drive guide here.

slingshot

Blizzard":20yjk72f said:
Don't worry about the second part, you just need to match the B6. While it is nice to get a close date it does not mean it won't work. We use donors that are 1-2 years off quite often. You can see some examples and our Seagate donor drive guide here.

Yes the B6 I pulled from a 2015, yet Im pulling D1's from 2016/17, its like a game of pin the tail on the donkey. Your list makes for interesting reading Dave, it goes back to the ethos of if it fits, try it and see :cool:

Thanks Dave

slingshot

Blizzard":14oqcs7y said:
One more thing, don't waste any more good heads if that donor you tried doesn't work any more :)

I'm going to inspect the B6 heads under the scope tomorrow and then spin them back up in the donor, if they work I'll continue trying to get another B6 set, if they're nuked then the case is getting scrapped, can't waste any more time and money on it.

;)