HDDSurgery Review | Why No One Should Buy Them

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get why people keep supporting terrible companies like HDDSurgery.

First off, their tools are massively overpriced when there are alternative tools costing 1/4 the price and work just fine. Not to mention that for most cases you can homebrew tools which work even better than any professional head tools do.

Secondly, this company is run by a complete moron. A few times I questioned him on HDDGuru and on this forum regarding the high prices, once just asking what his clean hood was going to cost and whether it would be as expensive as his other tools. He then takes it as a personal insult, starts to say essentially that I don't know what I'm doing, that I've bought wrong tools. This lead to some PM's and Skype banter which I've long since deleted where he was very insulting to me. Not just to me, but to others as well. For example, he explicitly mentioned Amarbir referring to him as a "F***ing Indian" and using other colorful language. There was also an entire thread on HDDGuru which Dmitry later deleted where he was an outright a-hole.

Now, he's blocked me from downloading resources from his site (not that I really care, I've got plenty of resources, was just trying to grab a resource to help another tech). Which i suppose is fair since I blocked him from advertising his products for free on here.

When I mention it on HDDGuru, this is what I get the next day:
Clipboard01.jpg

So, apparently, he's used the force of his advertising money on HDDGuru to get me banned for a month.

Please don't support this moron!!!

Buy tools from https://apextoollab.com/ instead. Support a decent human being for a change. :D

Blizzard

Personally, I don't think the tools are overpriced. Sure, you can get the job done with other tools, but after using HDD Surgery tools I really hate using other tools. I have used tools from 4 companies and the others are loose-fit and less reliable in most cases. It doesn't mean you can't get by with cheaper tools, but I love my HDD Surgery tools, I wouldn't give them up.
Another example that has made me realize the tools are not overpriced is the head holder. I have tried a number of vises from Amazon for holding heads and they are all make-shift with limitations. I'll most likely buy the HDD Surgery head holder on my next order. I have already wasted half the cost and I'm still not happy with the vises I have for heads, I should have just bought that one in the first place :)

mikem

Yes, I agree with Blizzard, we have almost the entire set of headcombs, and I have tried others made from plastic and some made from metal. None work as well as the Helpdisk tools. Also have the bearing tool and the head clamp - it is perfect for examining heads under a microscope, rotating them is simple, clearly made by a DR engineer.

I really hope that Jared and Nikola can resolve their differences. Nikola is banned from hddguru as well, not sure for how long.

Hello ,
i do not think he is banned but i have no idea why he has a banned user id under his username .I am shocked to find out he uses such foul language about me to other members of the community .I purchased a LM Series Head Replacement Kit From Nikola And HDDsurgery And Till today i have never told the world what happened to me after i purchased it ,It really got tears in my eyes and at 42 years of age it was so insulting and unwarranted .I have never opened the packet i received till today [ It Was Too Insulting To Use a Tool That i Paid For ] .I have Given a PM To Dimitry Sir Regarding This And If He Likes To listen to my story i will send him all the details . Till today i have never insulted Nikola Or HDDsurgery .The Only thing i have opposed is his saying that if he thinks the people who do not use his tools are not professionals that is not true and also his rates are high and not fit for most data recovery companies in india . I have a long story to tell

PS : So Sad and So Insulting For No Reason

pc3000

mikem":rn0zhu20 said:
Yes, I agree with Blizzard, we have almost the entire set of headcombs, and I have tried others made from plastic and some made from metal. None work as well as the Helpdisk tools. Also have the bearing tool and the head clamp - it is perfect for examining heads under a microscope, rotating them is simple, clearly made by a DR engineer.
I have the tools of hddsurgery and Apex,In headcombs there is no difference.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't doubt the quality of their tools, for the price they must be well built. I just don't like supporting companies run by this type of person. I'd rather support someone who's a decent human being first and foremost, then work with them in providing feedback to help them improve their product. My original intent in talking about price with Nicola was just to suggest that he'd probably quadruple his sales if the price was a bit more reasonable and that he could make up the profit through higher quantity rather than a higher markup per tool. He just insisted on taking it personally and turning it into a pissing match. The more we messaged with each other the more I could tell he's the exact type of person I don't want to do business with.

That's why I'm suggesting we support Apex tools. They are good quality, he listens to feedback and is constantly improving his products. With a few more of us buying from him they could soon have an equivalent set of quality tools and at a price where we can afford to have several sets around for convenience.

datahaze

What would really be great is for some data recovery shops to pool resources and get some models for 3D printers made up so people can share them. There's no reason some printed plastic can't put the need for expensive head swap tools to rest.

LarrySabo

datahaze":1w6ywm5p said:
What would really be great is for some data recovery shops to pool resources and get some models for 3D printers made up so people can share them. There's no reason some printed plastic can't put the need for expensive head swap tools to rest.
Shame on you! That's what the Chinese do. If you don't like their prices, buy Apex Tools or design and make your own. There's enough IP being stolen already.

datahaze

LarrySabo":1m2aqnud said:
If you don't like their prices, buy Apex Tools or design and make your own.

That's my proposal: that data recovery labs pool their resources to design some open source head swap tools which can be printed using a 3D printer. Perhaps read more carefully before you jump to judgement :D.