HDDSuperClone vs ddrescue

maximus

Jared":2412fmv3 said:
[post]10910[/post] Perhaps if the software could at least determine the brand from the model number the algorithm could be tweaked based on the average write size before switching heads based on the brand. Samsung drives are notorious for this.
That would be too specific and hard to control. I am working on improving the algorithm to be more aggressive to handle a wider range, but the default skip size of 4096 LBA will still only be able to handle a head read size of about 5GB. But I have an idea on how to automatically handle that when a skip reset occurs. I just have to test to make sure the algorithm still works good on a real drive. Also, I might make the automatic function something for the pro version, and the free version would stop with a message instead.

maximus

maximus":10wujqgh said:
[post]10875[/post] Yep, HDDSuperClone is skipping due to slow reads, although there were a few that were bad (total skips 581, skips from slow reads 482).
Whoops, the new slow skips count feature has a bug and was also counting bad reads if they exceeded the skip timeout. To be fixed in the next release.

maximus

maximus":299v3ht6 said:
[post]10916[/post]
Jared":299v3ht6 said:
[post]10910[/post] Perhaps if the software could at least determine the brand from the model number the algorithm could be tweaked based on the average write size before switching heads based on the brand. Samsung drives are notorious for this.
That would be too specific and hard to control. I am working on improving the algorithm to be more aggressive to handle a wider range, but the default skip size of 4096 LBA will still only be able to handle a head read size of about 5GB. But I have an idea on how to automatically handle that when a skip reset occurs. I just have to test to make sure the algorithm still works good on a real drive. Also, I might make the automatic function something for the pro version, and the free version would stop with a message instead.
The more I think about it, the more I think I will just have a pop up error message when there is a skip reset. This will encourage the user to address the settings issue. I could put some limited information in the popup about Samsung needing higher skip size and WD having a slow issue. I think I will make a section in the manual for skip resets and how to handle them. And probably create an advanced option to disable the popup (for the pro version :) )

The better skipping algorithm will still be done, so that there is at least more room for error. Plus part of the skip resets info in the manual will be a chart of what can be expected from some skip size values.

jimmy5

does anyone know what does the HDDsc tool even show as the final result and which one should show the rescued sector count/data amount? ddresc probably showed this on a separate line, although how did it even manage to read that if/and why windows was not able to read it ???