HDDSuperClone

maximus

Wow, two minutes is a long time. One other thing about IDE drives is that you cannot power cycle them and expect to connect to them again, at least not with the OS as they are not considered plug and play. After power loss the drive will come up in the lower PIO and DMA settings as negotiated by BIOS, but the system will still have the faster settings the OS negotiated, and this difference will not allow communication.

I have been doing a bit of testing and think I have found the way to know when an IDE drive has gone bye-bye in passthrough mode other than doing an inquiry/identify command, but there is more work to be done to be sure.

maximus

Alpha version 0.3 is released, still only the free version. I am almost totally positive I have figured out how to detect when a drive either faults out or just quits responding when using the passthrough as the free version does, and it will exit with an appropriate exit code. It is about ready to go up against ddrescue now. :D

The next release will likely be considered beta. I was thinking of making this release a beta, but then realized that the reverse option is still not implemented. :roll:

As far as I can tell, this release could be considered worthy enough to actually use, even though it is still considered alpha. Feel free to test, although I know most on here are waiting for the pro version to be developed. ;)

jol

maximus":3bqxap3b said:
[post]4708[/post]but then realized that the reverse option is still not implemented. :roll:
In the 1.6 ver. from hddsupertool is it also not implement ?

maximus

jol":3rjia76z said:
[post]4709[/post]
In the 1.6 ver. from hddsupertool is it also not implement ?
No, hddsupertool is completely script based, and the imaging script I wrote is very basic. And while it could easily be modified to image in reverse, the scripting causes so much overhead that it can never be a good cloning tool. It is maxed out with just the very basic imaging process. That is why I wrote this dedicated cloning tool.

maximus

Just to be clear, HDDSuperTool and HDDSuperClone are in the same family, and share the same IO code and some other common code. But I could not see an easy way to implement cloning ability into hddsupertool, so wrote hddsuperclone as a separate tool. There will likely never be a separate paid version of hddsupertool as there is no demand, but it will likely be included with a paid version of hddsuperclone.

And at some point in time I am probably going to suggest that the name of this forum section be changed from HDDSuperTool to HDDSuperClone/HDDSuperTool. And I put HDDSuperClone first as it should be the one with the most demand.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
maximus":3gtntepr said:
[post]4711[/post] And at some point in time I am probably going to suggest that the name of this forum section be changed from HDDSuperTool to HDDSuperClone/HDDSuperTool. And I put HDDSuperClone first as it should be the one with the most demand

Done!

maximus

On a side note, I stopped at the local computer repair shop today to ask about the possibility of getting some failed drives. I got the response that I expected, that they destroy the drives. The last time I was there I asked about data recovery and was told that while they didn't get into physical repair (opening up drives), they used "advanced tools". So I tried to fish a little bit and in a way asked what they used for a hardware imager. The reply was that they use a couple different things. I left it at that and thanked him and left. But I bet they use ddrescue and maybe something like R-Studio or GetDataBack, if that. There is no way they can afford a couple different hardware tools for a small computer repair shop! I would try to promote my new cloning tool, but I honestly don't trust the guy that I talked to, just because of the responses he gave and the way he gave them.

pclab

I'm almost sure that what they do is use R-Studio and Ghost to image a drive.
I believe they don't even know what's an imager....

maximus":1ztpiisk said:
[post]4724[/post] I stopped at the local computer repair shop today to ask about the possibility of getting some failed drives. I got the response that I expected, that they destroy the drives

What is your country maximus ? and it is that hard to find failure HDD for sale?

maximus

abedalkareem":365881nc said:
[post]4726[/post]What is your country maximus ? and it is that hard to find failure HDD for sale?
I live in the Unites States of paranoia and lawsuits. Any reputable computer shop will have a destroy policy to cover their ass. As for buying them, I am on a budget and would only pay for failed drives that met certain criteria, and the issue then is that it would have to come from someone that had the tools and knowledge to understand what I was looking for.