HDDSuperClone

maximus

nissimezra":6stm6igs said:
I uploaded 2 files with error. You can try it in your tool. I have more if you want
http://www.filedropper.com/maxtor
https://ufile.io/fvkw8
I looked at those log files with a text editor, and can definitely see an issue.

All of the log files show zero run time and zero progress, indicating that they are new progress files that have not had any recovery ran with them yet. They also don’t have a progress status line written to them yet, which is causing the error. They have a total LBA, but the source and destination are both blank (null). I don’t even know what conditions could produce logs like that. I can’t reproduce that in any way. It does not make sense.

Now for some other things that don’t make sense to me on how they came to be.

The “maxtor" and “maxtor.bak” files are from different runs that are a few weeks apart. The total LBA is also different between them, so it wasn’t even the same disk.

The “taher” and “taher.bak” are almost 2 minutes apart, but the total LBA is different between the two. That would also indicate two separate attempts with two different drives. But the LBA to read is the same, which leads to even more confusion.

I don’t know what you are doing, but it is very confusing.

nissimezra

maximus":3knlftt1 said:
nissimezra":3knlftt1 said:
[post]12921[/post]
maximus":3knlftt1 said:
As stated in an earlier post, make sure you try version 2.1.6 on the drive(s) that it did not work on previously. It has a couple fixes. I would like to know if one of them resolved the issue.
Worked with another 2tb
https://imgur.com/a/umsqtIu

I'll do that once I'll finish the clone

Forgot to mention, the drive was dropped and was clicking before, manged to fix the clicking and it was detected and working. Just not possible to copy
Heh heh, I wonder how long that ddrescue cloning will take to finish. The GUI shows just over an hour remaining (it is using the average rate for the whole recovery). Ddrescue indicates 5 hours 21 days, not sure how that is calculated these days. I bet it will be at least 10+ days.
I aborted the recovery, The partition mounted, after check disk all files accessible, overall good recovery.
The new version worked with no errors for 5 minutes so it seems to be fixed.
The older version.
https://imgur.com/a/zCUuGqx

If you want me to test something let me know

maximus

nissimezra":22bupbbz said:
I aborted the recovery, The partition mounted, after check disk all files accessible, overall good recovery.
The new version worked with no errors for 5 minutes so it seems to be fixed.
The older version.
https://imgur.com/a/zCUuGqx

If you want me to test something let me know
I am glad to know that the new version did work where the old one failed. I am considering the "wrong size / size changed" bug resolved. Thanks for verifying this.

maximus

HDDSuperClone version 2.1.7 released. This version fixed an elusive bug with direct AHCI mode, where I now feel there should be little to no hardware compatibility issues with different computers.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.1.7 20190116
* Fixed a missing error message when chosing the source
* Improved how the progress log is written to help avoid corruption
* The domain file is no longer written if it is not being used
* Fixed a bug with direct AHCI mode

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
maximus":1z85a58t said:
[post]13114[/post] This version fixed an elusive bug with direct AHCI mode, where I now feel there should be little to no hardware compatibility issues with different computers.

Nice work. :D

I've got to remember to order a license of the pro version and start trying it out. Just haven't needed it in a bit.

maximus

Jared":26dql2n1 said:
maximus":26dql2n1 said:
[post]13114[/post] This version fixed an elusive bug with direct AHCI mode, where I now feel there should be little to no hardware compatibility issues with different computers.

I've got to remember to order a license of the pro version and start trying it out. Just haven't needed it in a bit.
Yeah, I had been a little bit worried about the hardware compatibility in AHCI mode, mostly due to one of my computers sometimes having a few glitches with it. But then someone (luckily just someone I gave a test license to, not a paying customer) had a computer it just would not work on. During writing some testing code, I found an anomaly that led me to a problem in my code, where I had the wrong variable in a few places. It was a stupid mistake, possibly caused by a form of auto typing that looked right at the time. Finally finding that is a big relief to me. I was a bit gun-shy to push the pro version with possible hardware issues on some computers. I think I feel much better about that now.

I would also like to add that I do feel that the Pro version of HDDSuperClone could very possibly, if not likely, directly compete with the likes of the older DeepSpar DDI3. It would require the external relay to be set up for power cycles. But it can do soft and hard resets through the computer, and perform power cycles with the external relay. The biggest downside is that it only works in Linux. That scares a few people away, plus makes it inconvenient for others. But it can turn a regular computer into the equivalent of a hardware imager. No other software can do that (probably because it is f****** hard to do).

nissimezra

maximus":30ufyyef said:
Jared":30ufyyef said:
maximus":30ufyyef said:

Yeah, I had been a little bit worried about the hardware compatibility in AHCI mode, mostly due to one of my computers sometimes having a few glitches with it. But then someone (luckily just someone I gave a test license to, not a paying customer) had a computer it just would not work on. During writing some testing code, I found an anomaly that led me to a problem in my code, where I had the wrong variable in a few places. It was a stupid mistake, possibly caused by a form of auto typing that looked right at the time. Finally finding that is a big relief to me. I was a bit gun-shy to push the pro version with possible hardware issues on some computers. I think I feel much better about that now.

I would also like to add that I do feel that the Pro version of HDDSuperClone could very possibly, if not likely, directly compete with the likes of the older DeepSpar DDI3. It would require the external relay to be set up for power cycles. But it can do soft and hard resets through the computer, and perform power cycles with the external relay. The biggest downside is that it only works in Linux. That scares a few people away, plus makes it inconvenient for others. But it can turn a regular computer into the equivalent of a hardware imager. No other software can do that (probably because it is f****** hard to do).
Yeh this thing is almost like a 4k tool. I had a drive that had a freezing issue and needed power cycle so I used external power supply. But it did get the job done.
You are really not far from building a hardware data recovery tool that can be ez sold for 1k

I used it in many computers (sometimes I have 3 drives at the same time) and it worked on all of them

nissimezra

maximus":2mc2jnih said:
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.7 released. This version fixed an elusive bug with direct AHCI mode, where I now feel there should be little to no hardware compatibility issues with different computers.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.1.7 20190116
* Fixed a missing error message when chosing the source
* Improved how the progress log is written to help avoid corruption
* The domain file is no longer written if it is not being used
* Fixed a bug with direct AHCI mode
@maximus, This seems to work like charm for wd that one of the head isn't reading.
I have a drive that if it connected to windows it mount and disconnect repeatedly.
I cloned the drive, 75% went smooth but 25% aint moving. Now it's scrapping. still only 75%.
This seems to get job like head mapping.

maximus

HDDSuperClone 2.1.8 released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.1.8 20190203
* Improved how trimming handles major errors
* Added 0.5 sec to the first read soft reset time
* Fixed a bug where phase logs were disabled if no log backup
* Fixed a bug where the phase logs setting was not saved
* Added an additional message when cloning stops for any reason
* Fixed a bug where SCSI mode would still use ATA identify data
* Added the Tools menu option Display Identify Results
* Enable using ATA return is now on by default in pro version

maximus

nissimezra":3ehv2wqj said:
@maximus, This seems to work like charm for wd that one of the head isn't reading.
I have a drive that if it connected to windows it mount and disconnect repeatedly.
I cloned the drive, 75% went smooth but 25% aint moving. Now it's scrapping. still only 75%.
This seems to get job like head mapping.
The smooth part would be the head skipping algorithm doing its job in phases 1 and 2. So in this case of a dead head, you basically already had the best recovery at the end of phase 2. The trick is to be able to understand the results. Someone that is technical could use hddscviewer to get a better idea of what the recovery looks like, and even tell if there seems to be any data readable in the bad head. It also helps to be able to understand the log file (by reading the manual), as analyzing it can also give an indication if any data is being read from a bad/weak head. Learn how to understand the results and you could tell at the end of phase 2 what the condition of the drive is.

And you are using the free version. Imagine using the pro version and properly implementing the timeouts for directly connected SATA drives, and making the whole process faster.