HDDSuperClone

maximus

I hope the best for your outcome. If the ddrescue result is good, I do have one possibility that could happen with hddsuperclone. When working with a USB drive using the default auto-passthrough mode, it will try to get the best information from a passthrough ATA identify device command. But when the imaging is started, it uses SCSI passthrough. It could be possible that the ATA data indicated a 512 byte sector size, but the SCSI indicates a 4096 byte sector size. If this is the case, the solution would be to switch to SCSI passthrough mode before selecting the source. If you do get a good result from ddrescue, I would ask that you try this with hddsuperclone to see if it does start to image without issue, and report back.

maximus

When working with a USB drive using the default auto-passthrough mode, it will try to get the best information from a passthrough ATA identify device command. But when the imaging is started, it uses SCSI passthrough. It could be possible that the ATA data indicated a 512 byte sector size, but the SCSI indicates a 4096 byte sector size. If this is the case, the solution would be to switch to SCSI passthrough mode before selecting the source
:eek: WHOOPS!!! MY BAD! In auto passthrough it does get the size from SCSI if it is USB. BUT... The free version of hddsuperclone only accepts a sector size of 512 for the passthrough modes ( I kind of forgot about that). The issue could very well be that if the USB bridge is presenting the drive with a 4096 byte sector size, the free version of hddsuperclone will fail, likely with the source size changed message. Hopefully that is your issue and all is good with your recovery.

So I need to think about this. Do I just put an error message in place when the drive reports the non-supported sector size in the free version? You can still use the generic mode, which is basically is ddrescue but with the benefit of a better skipping algorithm. Not sure if that would help sales of the pro version or not. Or do I get generous and allow the 4096 byte sector size in the free version :|

maximus

Here is a command you can use to show what sector size the kernel sees from the drive. You should be able to run this command from a new terminal window while ddrescue is running, all it does is list the block devices.
Code:
lsblk -d -b -o NAME,SIZE,LOG-SEC,PHY-SEC,MODEL

nissimezra

maximus":3at0owv1 said:
Here is a command you can use to show what sector size the kernel sees from the drive. You should be able to run this command from a new terminal window while ddrescue is running, all it does is list the block devices.
Code:
Maximus thanks for your reply
Well I think you already gave a lot in the free version so it’s kind of up to you
As I told in the message I didn’t have a real chance to test the free version duo to health issues at the time I did install it but but was not in a condition to test it

From the little I tried I can tell you that it’s above my level

As for generic mode it should be enough for me I really don’t care what the mode named as long as it’s cloning so if you can explain to me how to change it to generic mode it’ll be very much appreciated
I do have 6 more left over drives so I can test it I have many computers here to play with sometimes I’m doing 3 cloning at the time and each might take days
There is no question about it that hdd super clone is much better than dd it changed my working life big time. If it wouldn’t be exist I would probably bought rapid spar or something like met or dolphin stuff
By the way Happy new year dear friend

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Average speed of only 5.5MB/s, that's really slow. You must be plugged into a USB 2 port or using a USB 2.0 adapter/dock. I normally see speeds closer to 80-90Mb/s using ddrescue.

maximus

nissimezra":32ctbxyy said:
[post]12861[/post]
maximus":32ctbxyy said:
Code:
Well I think you already gave a lot in the free version so it’s kind of up to you
As I told in the message I didn’t have a real chance to test the free version duo to health issues at the time I did install it but but was not in a condition to test it

As for generic mode it should be enough for me I really don’t care what the mode named as long as it’s cloning so if you can explain to me how to change it to generic mode it’ll be very much appreciated
I do have 6 more left over drives so I can test it I have many computers here to play with sometimes I’m doing 3 cloning at the time and each might take days
There is no question about it that hdd super clone is much better than dd it changed my working life big time. If it wouldn’t be exist I would probably bought rapid spar or something like met or dolphin stuff
Can you at least run that command with one of the USB drives attached that doesn't work with hddsuperclone default settings, and provide the output so that I can see if I am correct about the reason?

To change to generic mode, simply choose "Generic source device" from the Mode menu.

nissimezra

maximus":2fx73m9v said:
nissimezra":2fx73m9v said:
[post]12861[/post]
maximus":2fx73m9v said:
Code:

Can you at least run that command with one of the USB drives attached that doesn't work with hddsuperclone default settings, and provide the output so that I can see if I am correct about the reason?

To change to generic mode, simply choose "Generic source device" from the Mode menu.
Yeh sure I will do it now and let you know

nissimezra

nissimezra":15s306l6 said:
maximus":15s306l6 said:
nissimezra":15s306l6 said:
[post]12861[/post]

Yeh sure I will do it now and let you know

Thanks for your answer
Here it is
didn't try to clone it

https://imgur.com/a/3Pu3A7C

nissimezra

maximus":28f94na3 said:
nissimezra":28f94na3 said:
[post]12861[/post]
maximus":28f94na3 said:
Code:

Thanks for your answer
Here it is
didn't try to clone it

https://imgur.com/a/3Pu3A7C

maximus

That output shows it is not because of the sector size. It it recognized as having 512 byte logical and physical sector size to the OS. So that would not be the cause of hddsuperclone reporting the size changed. With that being the case, it goes back to questioning the data recovered. Hopefully it is all good...