maximus

HDDSuperClone version 2.0.3 released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.0.3 20181013
* Removed some alpha USB code that could cause a library error
* Made changes to the help option to show the manual
* Fixed a couple typos in the program
* Fixed a bug with autopassthrough on some usb drives

The next release should have capability for USB relay control for power cycles (pro version only).

lcoughey

I discovered hddsuperclone doesn't handle PCIe ssds. Had one the other day and just decided to mirror with ddrescue.

maximus

lcoughey":zs1zqonk said:
[post]11963[/post] I discovered hddsuperclone doesn't handle PCIe ssds. Had one the other day and just decided to mirror with ddrescue.
I don't have one of those to test, but there is no reason that hddsuperclone can't work with one the same as ddrescue. Maybe it doesn't show up in the source list with the default passthroug mode? Did you try changing the mode to Generic source device?

maximus

HDDSuperClone version 2.1.0 released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.1.0 20181020
* Added the ability to control a relay in the Pro version

maximus

I took some time to evaluate how some recovery software worked with the virtual driver. I had already done it with R-Studio, and included how in the instruction manual. I also knew that UFS Explorer and the newer product Recovery Explorer had Linux versions. And there is also DMDE which has a GUI version for 64 bit Linux. DMDE does actually work okay with the virtual driver, but I found it a bit clunky, and was having trouble finding the settings and method that worked best. And then I tried both UFS Explorer and Recovery Explorer. I was working with a clone of a bad disk, of which both R-Studo and DMDE easily found the partition and file system right away. But both of the Explorer software completely failed to do that. They wanted to perform a full scan to find anything.

So I can say without a doubt that when it comes to the best software to work with the virtual driver for file extraction, R-Studio hits the grand slam, it just works well with it. DMDE does also work, but just not as well. And the rest are left in the dust. They may have their purpose and do extremely well at that purpose, but as of right now R-Studio is the only one that I would recommend for using with the virtual driver of HDDSuperClone for data extraction.

maximus

HDDSuperClone version 2.1.2 released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.1.2 20181029
* Updated the virtual driver section in the manual
* Made changes to some internal debugging code
* Removed the command line option to set the virtual disk name
* Fixed an internal GTK label error
* Fixed a bug with generic mode where all reads would fail

Hi Maximus ,
I Am Currently Home These Days Recovering FRom My Illness And Have a Modest Setup Here For Doing Recoveries .I Would Be Trying Out The Tool . I Have The Following For Work AT My Place

1 : A ASUS High End Ultrabok With 3 USB 3.0 Ports
2 : Vantec Dual Bay USB 3.0 Dock
3 : DFL : SRP All In One Data Recovery Tool

PS : Device No 2 Will Work With USB Port So i Have No Idea How Well Drives Will Actually Preform As The Dock Comes Between The Laptop With Installed Software And Hard Drives . The DFL : SRP All In One Tool Can Also Act AS a Dock IF Need Be And That Too is a USB 3.0 Device .I Will Update You About My Venture Into This And Possibly Ask You a Couple Of Questions .Once i Am Happy And Satisfied With The Tool i Will Buy The Pro Version But i Do Not Know Its Usability With My This Current Setup .Also i Am Very Interested To Find Out That Why a Dongle Based Activation Is Not Possible ,What i Mean To Ask Is That We Buy The Tool " Dongle Version" Which Should Be More Expensive And Include Dongle And Shipping To Once Place " And Once We Make a Live USB An Have The Dongle In The Same Machine It Gets Converted To Pro Version . Might Be It Checks For License For Once a Month And Keeps Working With Internet That Entire Month And Next Month It Checks Internet Once Again And Works Without It For Another Month And So On .

maximus

Hi Amarbir,

I will start with the licensing. There is the temporary license (currently 30 days), and that license requires internet access every time the program is started. Then there is the full long term license, which is good for the lifetime of the major program version (and I honestly don’t see a new major program version any time in the near future, if at all ever). It requires online access to activate when you install the license. It then does not require internet access again on that computer. The only reason it would need internet access again is if you are running it from a live CD which can’t save the activation between reboots. But this can be overcome by running from persistent live USB instead. So for the long term license, it only needs internet access for the initial activation. And if you read the EULA, you would see that it allows for installing on up to 3 computers.

As for HDDSuperClone and your setup, I can’t see where the pro version would be of much use with a laptop and the USB dock. The direct modes that can do the soft and hard resets require the drive to be connected directly to the computer, not through USB. The ability to power cycle a drive using a relay also gets complicated with the USB dock. Considering you have the DFL, it would win over HDDSuperClone in this case. The only thing it could possibly do better at is USB only drives, as I don’t see USB ability on the DFL. I just put instructions on the website for power cycling USB drives. And using the virtual driver and R-Studio (Linux license) could allow for better data extraction.

If you had a regular computer with accessible SATA ports and power cables, then the pro version of HDDSuperClone could start to compete a bit with the DFL. I would like to think that with a relay setup it could compete with the older DeepSpar DDI3. The computer does not need to be high end, although I would think that it would benefit from SATA 3 and USB 3 ports. But the only way it would work with a laptop is if you managed to somehow get a direct external SATA port. If you do get or have a system it would work well on, I may be willing to give you a free temporary trial license, although it would require active internet as described above.