HDDSuperClone

maximus

I hope that the multiple language ability is not a big selling point, because it appears that my method of translation has been greatly throttled, to the point where I may barely be able to translate to only a few languages. So if I am greatly limited in language translation, what are the major languages to consider keeping?

maximus

New version released. I am almost ready to sell the pro version. I actually am ready, but am now waiting for a technical issue to be resolved with my PayPal account. At least they do seem to have good customer service, talked to a couple people on the phone with almost no hold time on a Sunday. But now waiting for the higher level technicians to look at the issue.

HDDSuperClone Changelog
version 2.0 20180826
* Changed the message when choosing an existing image file
* Added option to use physical sector size as logigal for virtual disk
* Updated the EULA
* Reduced the number of translated languages

maximus

The PRO version is now available for purchase:
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsu ... ro-version

Here are the features of the PRO version as of the time of this post:

PRO Version Features:

This is a list of the features that are only available with the PRO version. Please reference the user manual for further information on any of these features.

* The ability to directly access PATA (IDE) and SATA (AHCI) disk drives. With this direct access it is possible to send soft resets to both, and hard (COM) resets to SATA drives. This allows for using timeouts to perform the resets when the read operation is taking too long. This can greatly speed up the recovery of the good data, as it can skip over the problem areas much faster. This can also help prevent the drive from locking up and going offline, where it would otherwise require a power cycle. The direct access ability does require disabling (hiding) the drive in the OS.

* The Virtual Disk Driver, which will present the live recovery as a virtual disk to the OS. This allows for the use of third party programs such as R-Studio to access the failing source disk through HDDSuperClone. No data is read twice. If data requested has not been read, it will be cloned to the destination drive/image, and then passed on to the virtual disk. If the data requested has already been read, the data will be read from the destination and passed to the virtual disk. This allows for programs to perform data extraction and target just the desired files, without having the clone the entire disk, and while keeping those programs from thrashing on the failing disk.

* The ability to present the virtual disk with a different logical sector size. This can be useful when working with a disk as SATA that was originally USB, and as USB it reported with a logical sector size of 4096, but as SATA it reports with 512 byte logical sector size. Presenting the disk with its original logical sector size can help with data extraction.

* The ability to clone or image 520 byte-per-sector SAS (SCSI) drives. It can also clone them to a 512 byte-per-sector drive or image file, as desired. You must have a NON-RAID card installed for this operation.

* The ability to perform a quick analysis of the disk, so that you can have an idea of what to expect when attempting recovery.

* The ability to show SMART status for devices that support it.

* Allow a sector size other than 512 bytes.

* Allow using the Block Size option to optimize the handling of bad sectors for Advanced Format drives with 4096 bytes per physical sector.

* The Skip Fast option enables a more aggressive skipping algorithm during phase 1 and 2 to help speed up skipping out of a bad spot or bad head.

* Ability to use the ATA return data to mark bad sectors and improve the amount of good data read during the first 4 phases.

* The options Mark Bad Head and Read Bad Head allow the bad areas representing the bad head to be marked in the log, and skipped in any further passes if desired.

maximus

I know there were those that were interested in the possibility of controlling relays for power cycles. While I don't think I am going to sell the relays themselves, I am now working on implementing some USB relay control into the program. I currently only know how to control the generic red Chinese relays, and the USBmicro U451. But the nice thing about USB is it is very easy to sniff, meaning that it could be possible to expand what relays I can control. To figure out a new relay, I would need the relay and the software for it, but at this time I don't plan on buying any new relays, unless it was desired enough and had enough potential to help sales of the software.

maximus

Someone bought a 30 day license, WOOHOO my first $20!

Oh, wait, paypal gets a percentage and I have to claim it as income and get taxed on it... whoohoo my first $10 :roll:

maximus

I have just figured out that I am almost certainly going to get sidetracked on the USB relays. That is because during initial experimentation, I have managed to do a very basic communication with a WD board while off the drive in kernel mode via USB. So now I am going to have a hard time not pursuing how to fix the WD slow issue on USB SED locked drives without converting to SATA. I don't have an SED locked drive, but I think I foresee the purchase of one in the near future, along with some technical questions in the guru forum. If nothing else, I would think that I should be able to read the ROM through USB, saving a chip swap when converting to SATA. Of course this would end up in the PRO version and not be free.

maximus

HDDSuperClone version 2.0.1 released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.0.1 20180908
* Fixed a bug with installing the pro version activation file
* Fixed a bug with the virtual mode buttons in the free version
* Added info in the manual about the domain with virtual mode buttons