HDDSuperClone

Argosh

nissimezra":3fhkxx2z said:
Hi maximus
Is there an ISO for the newer version? Or just to install it on lubuntu 14.04?

Nevermind I found it.
Thx

Yes, as you probably found out the last version is included is his Google Drive repository but @maximus has not yet reflect it in the HDDLiveCD's changelog

Alternatively, as I had an old HDDLiveCD version, what I did was to download the latest HDDSuperClone .deb file from the Debian repositories (the 32bit one, cause the HDDLiveCD's kernel is 32bit) and install/add it to the iso. Also, maximus has the .deb available from here.

maximus

Jared":3ruwhdk9 said:
[post]10364[/post]
lcoughey":3ruwhdk9 said:
If you are making it a GUI-only interface, should you not have it so that it can be started from within the gui, without command line?

That would be nice. A package installer that creates a link on the desktop to run it. Convenience is everything if you're going to market it to guys who aren't Linux savvy.
I have revisited this, and decided to do something the "official" way. And that is to add links in the applications menu. Putting it on the desktop can be problematic because installing requires root access, and can lead to any attempt for an actual desktop icon being in the root desktop, not the user. There is no "All Users" desktop in Linux like there is in Windows. But the application menu is for all. All other software packages I have ever installed never created a desktop icon, they created a link in the application menu. And now I know why, and follow suit.

Argosh

maximus":2i1ilte7 said:
Argosh":2i1ilte7 said:
Yes, as you probably found out the last version is included is his Google Drive repository but @maximus has not yet reflect it in the HDDLiveCD's changelog
Opps, I have too many places to post updates :) Changelog has been updated, at least until the next release :)

Cool :cool:. Don't worry **** happens everyday hehe. It's normal when you have the binaries uploaded in multiple sources :D. Although, It would be nice if you add the hashes of the files in the HDDSuperClone's download page too :).

maximus

Although, It would be nice if you add the hashes of the files in the HDDSuperClone's download page too :).
Right now I only provide the hash for the generic installer, which is automatically generated during the build and included in the downloads. I have thought about also generating hashes for the .deb and .rpm installers, but have not added that yet. Maybe I can try to include that info on the page itself, but that would be something else for me to forget to do :roll: I guess need to try to appease you paranoid people LOL

Argosh

maximus":3b7nd84x said:
Right now I only provide the hash for the generic installer, which is automatically generated during the build and included in the downloads. I have thought about also generating hashes for the .deb and .rpm installers, but have not added that yet. Maybe I can try to include that info on the page itself, but that would be something else for me to forget to do :roll: I guess need to try to appease you paranoid people LOL

Hahaha, although I am a quite paranoic person (I am a software developer who takes security quite seriously in day-to-day basis), nowadays having the hashes of the binaries for checking the file integrity is an important thing. It not only allows you to detect if the binary has been altered but you can check if your download is corrupted too (i.e. because you didn't download the whole file or something happen int he process).

Many projects have been compromised or it's websites distributed malware due some kind of attack. This even happened to some Linux distros (i.e. Mint) and lots of important software companies. There are some new popular attacks like Supply chain. I am not saying that having the hashes available is the panacea but it's something nice to add (plus, SSL over HTTP in the entire web) :D. Of course I am not gonna kill you, I am a fan of your work LOL, just saying hehe.

Personally, I always check the hash/checksum, the PGP sig or whatever at the webpage of the software I download (if it is available). Especially .isos, BIOS or driver files.

maximus

A new release is available. I did checksums for all of the downloads, and along with including the checksum text files, also put them on the download page directly. We will see if I can remember to update the direct checksums on the page every time!

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 1.99.3.beta 20180714
* Added a SMART data function (pro version)
* Improved the auto passthrough identify results
* New section in the manual for 520 byte per sectors drives
* Installer now puts links in the application menu
* HDDSuperTool now lists modes if target not chosen

Argosh

maximus":38zg07gc said:
A new release is available.
keep up the good work! :D

maximus":38zg07gc said:
I did checksums for all of the downloads, and along with including the checksum text files, also put them on the download page directly. We will see if I can remember to update the direct checksums on the page every time!

Nice one!. I really like how you take care of your project :). You can create a script to automate the process and, generate all the file hashes and redirect them to a file. Also, you could even update the .html web page too from bash. Furthermore, if you use GIT as a software version control for your source code, you can put the web site files in a GIT repository and update them directly by pushing the .html with the new checksums :D.

By the way, @maximus could you confirm me a question I asked here about if HDDSuperClone deletes a GNU ddrescue image file given as a destination drive if use an imported log file?.

PS.: Today. I tried your tool on a 80GB hard disk drive which PCB was badly damaged (I repaired some copper pads/contacts). The disk powered up nicely and then it showed some I/O errors but the recovery was nice ;). I am not in the business I just do this for the fun (I already had a backup of the data within the disk). I am gonna play with the reverse option these days.

maximus

Argosh":31nbuo8l said:
[post]11091[/post] Nice one!. I really like how you take care of your project :). You can create a script to automate the process and, generate all the file hashes and redirect them to a file. Also, you could even update the .html web page too from bash. Furthermore, if you use GIT as a software version control for your source code, you can put the web site files in a GIT repository and update them directly by pushing the .html with the new checksums :D.
I already automate the hashes into files during the public build. The only thing I can forget is to manually put the text from the hashes on the website download page. My code is closed source, so I am not sure that GIT is something I can or want to use. Plus I like being in control of certain things, and not rely on a third party utility. It is bad enough that I am using Google Sites for my website! :shock: But at least I am in control of it...