HDDSuperClone

maximus

Wow, I did not get any emails that there was a reply since I last posted, and I did not check until today. So here is a reply to a few things said.

As for adding the features of hddsupertool into hddsuperclone, that is already on my to-do list. But what is not on my list is to add more vendor specific features. That would be very difficult considering that I don't know the commands needed, and it gets very complicated very quickly. I think that is best left to the others that are fighting to produce their software firmware fix tools.

As for price, we will see. Part of the problem is that everyone wants Windows software, and this is Linux only. Being able to do the soft resets (and hard resets with SATA) is one of the features. The driver feature is even more interesting, where the active recovery can be presented as a generic block device to the system. That allows the possibility of data extraction without cloning the whole drive. Right now those are the main advantages, but there are other little things I am hoping to add.

maximus

And for a program update, I am currently testing a license activation system. It needs a few tweaks yet, but so far so good. I can produce two kinds of activation. The first requires that the computer is online every time the program is started. This is meant for testing trial versions, so that I can possibly give out temporary licenses to certain individuals for testing purposes, and revoke them as needed. The second type only requires the computer to be online during the initial activation, at which time the activation is installed on that computer and does not require online access to stay active. That will be the type used when selling it. While I may likely include some form of written limit to the number of computers it can be installed on per the license agreement, you will be able to install it on more than one computer.

In the event of using a live cd, it would obviously need to be activated online every time the cd was booted.

nissimezra

maximus":dzc48awa said:
And for a program update, I am currently testing a license activation system. It needs a few tweaks yet, but so far so good. I can produce two kinds of activation. The first requires that the computer is online every time the program is started. This is meant for testing trial versions, so that I can possibly give out temporary licenses to certain individuals for testing purposes, and revoke them as needed. The second type only requires the computer to be online during the initial activation, at which time the activation is installed on that computer and does not require online access to stay active. That will be the type used when selling it. While I may likely include some form of written limit to the number of computers it can be installed on per the license agreement, you will be able to install it on more than one computer.

In the event of using a live cd, it would obviously need to be activated online every time the cd was booted.

Hi Maximus

It will be hard to sell only for WD because you have the wdmarvel very solid and well known tool AND windows based program.
Adding free ddrescue and you are looking at almost the same tool.
Thats only my opinion anyway I wish you good luck.

maximus

It will be hard to sell only for WD because you have the wdmarvel very solid and well known tool AND windows based program.
I am not trying to sell firmware tools. I have a very good cloning tool, the freeware version is already better than ddrescue. The upcoming pro version has options that are well beyond what ddrescue can do. The idea is to provide a cloning tool that can rival some of the hardware based cloning tools, without needing to buy the very expensive hardware.

nissimezra

maximus":3n9li7yv said:
I am not trying to sell firmware tools. I have a very good cloning tool, the freeware version is already better than ddrescue. The upcoming pro version has options that are well beyond what ddrescue can do. The idea is to provide a cloning tool that can rival some of the hardware based cloning tools, without needing to buy the very expensive hardware.
As I said before it's already worth the money.
It was just an idea maybe for the future to add more repair tools.

Thanks again for great tool

nissimezra

Jared":2dclhz87 said:
nissimezra":2dclhz87 said:
[post]10155[/post] DR on the other hand need about 20 grand to start a nice DR

You could start a DR business for $20K if you're OK with only being able to handle 30-40% of cases. I'd suspect I've invested around $200K in just equipment. It's not necessarily the big items that are expensive, it's the thousands of little items that really add up.
That's a lot of money, I was not aware of this amount of investment needed. I am working with data recovery company and I've asked him how much he invested over the years (over 20 years) I assumed 100 k CDN, He told me less than 50 K CDN.

As for the 30% to 40%.
I've been doing DR for 3.5 years and I can tell you that I recovered 70% of the cases without any professional tool and not of big knowledge. I receive about 50 cases for year. Most of the cases I received are easy recovery that are not involve in head replacing. I did repair few boards with electronic problem that other might not been able to without some knowledge in electronic but not that much.
Maybe I was just lucky.

Thats about the rate I received

15% very easy recovery, portable case problem not drive, the drive 100%
15% Operating system issue. Maybe few bad sectores
20% easy bad sectors issues 24 to 36 hours recovery
20% very bad drives but still readable about 30 days recovery
20% needed head swap
10% probably firmware issue that could be solved with pc3000

Thats as far as I remember

You probably work a lot with pc shops thats why you see more hard cases

jol

I assume you've never touched A drive who wont get RDY, SSD, RAID, NAS, DVR, screwed up logical recovery, screwed up FW, Flash...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
nissimezra":tvrste7c said:
[post]10240[/post] I recovered 70% of the cases without any professional tool and not of big knowledge.

That's because you're not getting in the same types of cases that we are. People who have a drive that is clicking often will do enough research to know their computer guy isn't going to be able to do anything. Once you start offering a bonafide data recovery service that people assume to be a real lab, you'll start getting all sorts of crispy critter drives coming in.

More than half the cases we receive are coming from computer shops who couldn't recover the data using the types of means you're talking about. So we get a lot more difficult cases than easy stuff you can solve with an off the shelf data recovery program. You'll find out soon enough if you actually try to make a go of getting into this business.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
nissimezra":1c8tbbf1 said:
[post]10240[/post] I am working with data recovery company and I've asked him how much he invested over the years (over 20 years) I assumed 100 k CDN, He told me less than 50 K CDN.

Maybe he's not very good at math. Or just not very well equipped. Or, what I more suspect, is that he's only hoping you'll get nominally into the field, start generating leads, then have to send more and more cases his way when you can't handle them yourself. I've seen that sort of "franchise opportunity" offered in the past. Get you to sign up on promises of becoming a professional when all they really do is squeeze you for leads.

nissimezra

jol":3nlfxlph said:
I assume you've never touched A drive who wont get RDY, SSD, RAID, NAS, DVR, screwed up logical recovery, screwed up FW, Flash...
Jol, I'm not a data recovery expert, not even near, but you are wrong, I did recover five RAID 0 cases, I did recover 1 SSD (Bad mosfet), I recovered data from Dead Tablets and one dead Iphone that even DR company have hard time. did a lot of logical recovery with photorec, The things I did not do is NAS and drive not RDY I just don't have tools and knowledge using them
So do not underestimate people you don't know, Believe me I know a lot of things that you don't and I have a lot to more to learn

Regards