HDDSuperClone

maximus

pclab":1irt1yet said:
Let's hope it doesn't fail. hehehe
hehehe, I am hoping that I can get a 100% recovery from it, but just after that I would not mind a good failure :twisted:

I am going all out on this test, um, I mean recovery. At first I thought there was just a bad spot at the beginning of the disk so I skipped ahead a bit and all seemed good, but then more slow areas. I did not encounter any bad sectors (yet), but there were plenty that took a long time to read. The drive supports error recovery control, but I couldn't find a timer setting that was worth any use. So I am going full throttle on this one with direct AHCI and using the soft reset timer. Using the timer is allowing the head skipping algorithm to work, as it would not work with just slow reading sectors. I am hoping to get some good usable results from this, um, test.

If I compared this to testing a new aircraft...
All testing before a few days ago was just flying 50 feet above the runway. The cloning a few days ago was like taking a flight across the country, but with ejection seats and parachutes (I had a full backup if anything went wrong). This it like taking it across the ocean over freezing cold water with no life raft on board.

maximus

And this just gave me a new idea for the skipping algorithm. Skipping could be made to be triggered by individual slow reads, not just errors. Sometimes it takes an unusual circumstance to bring out an idea.

maximus

Well, it looks like the head skipping algorithm worked well. The first two passes with skipping yielded 90% in about 7 hours. But that last 10% is going to take awhile from what I can tell. If anything this is a good test drive now. Just still hoping for that last 10% to be successful.
hitachi-recovery-3.png

maximus

Made it to 91.6% and it slowed to a crawl. I am now reading single sectors with a 500ms timeout as that seems to get the best results. This is going to take several days, if not a few weeks. :(

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, still isn't too bad. I've had jobs image for two full months before we had enough data to finally disconnect it. I've heard of other guys here who went six+ months. This is where a software tool would be awesome as it'll only tie up a cheap Linux computer instead of a $5000 hardware imager for all that time.

HaQue

"would be awesome" ? Hey Jared, it is already awesome ;-) Great work Maximus, I wish I had your commitment and such quick results.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HaQue":32g3o1zg said:
"would be awesome" ? Hey Jared, it is already awesome ;-) Great work Maximus, I wish I had your commitment and such quick results.

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just waiting until it can power cycle drives that hang before I'm likely to implement the tool in day to day use here.