HDD Repeatedly Disconnecting and Reconnecting

nick12391

I Have a Fujitsu IDE HDD from my old laptop (which is a blue screened brick) and am trying to recover photos and documents. When I plug it into my new laptop it doesn't seem to want to stay connected. When I try to access it through file explorer I get "HDD is not accessible the parameter is incorrect" and often will cause file explorer to stop responding. A few times it has even crashed my profile and i have to ctrl alt del to sign out and back in.

I have tried the chkdsk command and it returns "cannot open volume for direct access". I have also tried using data recovery software, but it is unable to connect to the drive.

Any ideas of how i might proceed?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Try booting to a linux live USB or CD and then try following my ddrescue tutorial: how-to-clone-a-hard-drive-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133.html

The drive likely has bad sectors making it get stuck busy and cause Windows to hang. Linux won't try to mount it and may allow you to clone it to another hard drive. If the data is irreplaceable though, you might consider a professional data recovery service. That'll definitely be your best chance to get the data back.