Hard Drive Erasing

pclab

Hey guys

Got a question for you: do you offer Hard Drive erasure? Do you get allot of jobs doing this?

What's specifications do you use?
Thanks

pclab":1hbqmyu1 said:
Hey guys

Got a question for you: do you offer Hard Drive erasure? Do you get allot of jobs doing this?

Thanks

I use DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke) which have a multiple wipe algorithms i usually choose DOD 3 pass algorithm

pclab":2zw9zrls said:
Hey guys

Thanks

hehe when you ask "specifications" i understand that you asking about the tool used , sorry for misunderstanding my English should be enhanced .

i deal with wipedata cases usually for those how want to sell their used laptops , not 2 much customer requesting this service i charge them about 25$ + giving them wipe certificate

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I offer the service completely free just to keep the salvage of the old drive. I don't get a ton of customers using the service, but I've had a few who occasionally drop off an entire box of drives for wiping. It's already been very handy and saved me a bundle in parts costs for the older drives that come in for recovery.

pclab

Hey Jared

But clients don't want the disks no more? If so, why they want them erased??

In advanced country like the USA, people erase their drives before giving it out or before disposing it, with that they are sure their files and documents are all gone and can't get to wrong hands..

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the drives I get are older and come from computers that were replaced, or drives that were upgraded and/or have bad sectors. Some aren't even functional. Often they come from computer repair and service companies who have been collecting them intending to wipe them but never getting around to it. I provide them with certificates logging the wiping of each one so they can even pass them on to their customers as proof of their wiping.

Like Bankie said, its more about data security and preventing identity theft than anything.

LarrySabo

@Jared, do you have a dedicated rig for wiping, given that it takes forever? It would be nice to have something with 6-8 hot-swap bays so you could wipe that many simultaneously.