G-List and P-List

slingshot

Maybe its an issue of not seeing the wood for the trees but I need some clarity from you guys.

I know what both are etc. but for the purpose of data recovery, I can't get my head around the need for interfering with them.
For example: moving the G-list into the P-list, serves what benefit ?

Thanks, as always :)

pclab

Sometimes, when Glist gets an overflow, it may make the drive to fail. That's why sometimes we clear the Glist so that the drive can go back to work again.

slingshot

Thanks for your reply, in some models you can clear it but those that can't clear it you would move it to the P-List ?

And that would make anything assigned to those addresses totally unrecoverable ?

I am trying to collect Toshiba drives max Plist entry count.
Every family accept different number max entry to p list.

For example
xx52GSX 1022
xx65GSX ?? But more than 1753
xx75GSX 4094
MQ01ABD32 2830
MQ01ABD50 ?? But more than 3655
MQ01ABD75 ?? But more than 8000

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
datahaze":dqmlj1fh said:
I think this is mainly used by drive refurbishers but I'm curious to hear if there's other uses for it.

Agreed. Clearing G-List when it's overfilled is used for data recovery. Moving G-List to P-list is used for HDD refurbishing. If you moved g-list to p-list before recovering data you'd end up with a bunch of shift points in the translator and make recovery near impossible.

Jared":1mmwhye4 said:
datahaze":1mmwhye4 said:
I think this is mainly used by drive refurbishers but I'm curious to hear if there's other uses for it.

Agreed. Clearing G-List when it's overfilled is used for data recovery. Moving G-List to P-list is used for HDD refurbishing. If you moved g-list to p-list before recovering data you'd end up with a bunch of shift points in the translator and make recovery near impossible.
I recover them. Send me

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
DigitalVeriKurtarma":3o2ac84r said:
Jared":3o2ac84r said:
datahaze":3o2ac84r said:

I recover them. Send me

I would never be foolish enough to move the G-List into the P-list on a data recovery case. So I'd never need that. I know it's possible by manually recreating the translator, but the time required would put my price far beyond what most people would be willing to pay.

Jared":3v6ugj2v said:
datahaze":3v6ugj2v said:

yes but not always true, in some dirve for Testing i done G2P and data do not change a bit!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
siamak5561":bl88vqx6 said:
Jared":bl88vqx6 said:
datahaze":bl88vqx6 said:

yes but not always true, in some dirve for Testing i done G2P and data do not change a bit!

Because you didn't regenerate the translator. If you did, there'd be shifts all over the place. Unless of course, the G-List was empty.