Forum Downtime Caused By Justhost.com

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you probably noticed that the forum was down for much of the day today. Sorry for the inconvenience. This was due to the utter incompetence of the tech support folks at my hosting company justhost.com. I had bought a new domain but the cpanel wasn't allowing me to assign it to a folder. Contacted TS, and the guy there thought the issue must be my .htaccess file. I told him it wasn't possibly the issue, but he proceeded to delete it anyway without even asking me and it shut down my entire site. :twisted:

What's even worse is that the latest copy I had was backed up on my station that was killed by the Windows 10 update and had to be wiped. So the latest backup I had was from all the way back in May. It took three TS guys before I finally found one who was competent enough to pull the backup .htaccess file out and restore it. :roll:

Then I find that the phpBB cache system was corrupted from the bad .htaccess so the forum wouldn't work. Fortunately I did have a backup of that root folder saved on the webserver. :|

Moral of the story, don't ever host your site with Justhost.com :D