Five Platter Swap Surprise

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
This one really surprised me. Got a 5 platter 10 head 4Tb HDS724040ALE640 that came in totally seized after a good drop. Heads were stuck to platters, bearing totally seized. With enough force I managed to get the bearing to spin so I could safely remove the heads. However the spindle had an awful amount of wobble, way more than would have been safe to attempt spinning up.

So, begrudgingly after my quote was approved I decided it was time to buy the $350 donor and do the platter swap. To my shock and amazement, after a slight bit of clicking on the first power up the drive fully ID'd, backed up resources, and had full sector access. It's now imaging at 90Mb/s from all 10 original heads inside the donor HDA. I've read nearly 100Gb without a single bad sector yet.

How often does a case go that smoothly? They never do for me.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
What! and ruin my stroke of good fortune.... no way. I'm not even attempting any more cases today after this. I don't want to ruin a perfect streak today.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Finished imaging 1.3Tb of targeted sectors by bitmap with just a little over 2K bad sectors. Doing another pass now to see if I can clean up a few more. Fortunately they seem to be concentrated in just three or four spots, so it's unlikely to affect a large number of files.

Jared":2dh9bs0u said:
[post]7388[/post] What! and ruin my stroke of good fortune.... no way. I'm not even attempting any more cases today after this. I don't want to ruin a perfect streak today.
Why do we believe in good fortune when cases go smoothly ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Bankole Oladoja":wuzg1uis said:
[post]7394[/post] Why do we believe in good fortune when cases go smoothly ?

Because the number of cases we see that are utter nightmares can make you feel cursed sometimes. :lol:

I really just didn't want to ruin my good mood. I closed out ~$3,500 in successful cases yesterday, last thing I wanted to do is take on one last one that'd ruin my day.

As an update to this case, I analyzed where the bad sectors fell, and none actually hit a user file. They are all in the HFS private data folders. :D So it's effectively a 100% recovery.

Jared":311frlrg said:
[post]7398[/post]
Bankole Oladoja":311frlrg said:

Because the number of cases we see that are utter nightmares can make you feel cursed sometimes. :lol: .

Can't stop :lol: :lol:

You just made my day with that response... I ussually feel that way sometimes, when I have terrible week or day..

pc3000

Jared":dm9qbevd said:
Bankole Oladoja":dm9qbevd said:

Because the number of cases we see that are utter nightmares can make you feel cursed sometimes. :lol:

I really just didn't want to ruin my good mood. I closed out ~$3,500 in successful cases yesterday, last thing I wanted to do is take on one last one that'd ruin my day.

As an update to this case, I analyzed where the bad sectors fell, and none actually hit a user file. They are all in the HFS private data folders. :D So it's effectively a 100% recovery.

Nice to read good news