Five Platter Swap Surprise

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, did a RAID array, this five platter swap, plus one other case I had low expectations for. All were quoted pretty high and surprisingly turned out to be quick success stories.

This is far from being typical results for me. Usually, on a typical day, I'll work on one or two easy low priced recoveries, then waste the remainder of the day on some hopeless lost cause I probably should have given up on the week before.

LarrySabo

@jared, did you use the tape method or base replace tool? Do you ever deal with motor balance or platter eccentricity problems after using the tape method? Anyone else?

Jared":2t64fk4i said:
[post]7418[/post] Yeah, did a RAID array, this five platter swap, ... turned out to be quick success stories.

Sam

I usually use the Base Replace tool but have used the tape method also. I've done about 30 platter swaps and have never experienced those issues you mention. In fact, the first time I heard of motor balance being a problem after a platter swap was a couple weeks ago when I ran across the $300 document about it on hddtools.com: http://www.hddheadtools.com/product/pre ... r-balance/

Using the 3.5" Base Replace model as a template I created a 2.5" version which has worked great. It sure takes a long time to prep however, and after experimenting with the tape method I'm not convinced that I gain much with it. Sure is a great concept though!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":2w8uj37m said:
@jared, did you use the tape method or base replace tool? Do you ever deal with motor balance or platter eccentricity problems after using the tape method? Anyone else?

Jared":2w8uj37m said:
[post]7418[/post] Yeah, did a RAID array, this five platter swap, ... turned out to be quick success stories.
I used the tape method. But it was an easier one that didn't have the spacers between the platters. So I was able to get tape almost all the way around it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sam":2xin5t6r said:
I usually use the Base Replace tool but have used the tape method also. I've done about 30 platter swaps and have never experienced those issues you mention. In fact, the first time I heard of motor balance being a problem after a platter swap was a couple weeks ago when I ran across the $300 document about it on hddtools.com: http://www.hddheadtools.com/product/pre ... r-balance/

Using the 3.5" Base Replace model as a template I created a 2.5" version which has worked great. It sure takes a long time to prep however, and after experimenting with the tape method I'm not convinced that I gain much with it. Sure is a great concept though!!
So how is that $300 video? Anything really novel to learn from it, or pretty much what you expect? I know I've heard of some guys bouncing a Lazer off the platter to see how much wobble it has when the beam hits the wall after reflecting off. I always just assumed this by video was about adjusting the center weight to compensate. Not much more than balancing a tire.

Or am I way off and there is really something interesting I should know?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sam":3ojk7otl said:

So how is that $300 video? Anything really novel to learn from it, or pretty much what you expect? I know I've heard of some guys bouncing a Lazer off the platter to see how much wobble it has when the beam hits the wall after reflecting off. I always just assumed this by video was about adjusting the center weight to compensate. Not much more than balancing a tire.

Or am I way off and there is really something interesting I should know?

Sam

pclab":3aq6h2ip said:
[post]8404[/post] You bought the $300 document??

No. But I love lasers and now am going to have to bounce them off spinning platters because it will be fun. Thanks Jared :D

LarrySabo

Thanks Jared and Sam for sharing. When every swap using tape method failed, I figured it was a balance/eccentricity/alignment problem. I should have used more stable drives to experiment with.

Sam":3jhpojrr said:
[post]8408[/post]
pclab":3jhpojrr said:
[post]8404[/post] You bought the $300 document??
No. But I love lasers and now am going to have to bounce them off spinning platters because it will be fun. Thanks Jared :D
LOL! Same here. I have been thinking of how to use a laser and possibly diffraction gratings or Moire patterns to restore alignment of platters but didn't think about platter wobble. I need to play around with platter swaps more, but need more scrap donors I can destroy first. :)