Fail to read Samsung ROM

pclab

Hi

Just to state one thing:
Yesterday I had a case of a burned PCB of a Samsung HD253HJ (F3), and just need to do the simplest things that is read original rom by terminal and write on donor PCB.
After several attempts, I couldn't make it on MRT, it always gave me an error.
On PC3000, I could do it in about 30 min (it takes that much time because reading by terminal is a little slow and it involved the screw and unscrew of the bolts hehehhe).

Blizzard

Although HD253HJ model doesn't sound familiar, I am wondering why did you need the ROM? I have swapped the PCB on dozens of Samsung without ROM swap (HD25IHJ, HD250HJ, HD253GJ).

pclab

I need the ROM, because the donor I had was not fully compatible.
After ROM reading and writing, it worked.

Blizzard

Great! Do you remember which items matched between the two and which didn't? HDD model, Revision, firmware (was it far off?), PCB model. Thanks!

Blizzard ,
Two overlay models fw code should match rom ,If it does you are good to go ,If not you can use most of the roms by getting sa access and changing those two modules

pclab

Only PCB model was the same.
Patient was a 250GB and donor a 500GB. Not even the same headmap :mrgreen:

hdd00

What version of Mrt software did you use for that ? 2.0.5.7 or 2.1.1.2?
Because on 2.0.x.x software I was having the same problem but on 2.1.x.x it looks like they corrected the reading problem. Now you can read a Samsung Rom, even on M8 series, but don't get excited :D, to write a Rom is still not possible. At least not by terminal (that's what I try it ). I don't know about ATA.

pclab

I have to check the version, but it's the last one for sure.

Meanwhile, MRT support contacted me and told me the solution: use the programmer!!! What? Is this a solution for a bug??

hdd00

When I said Mrt version I mean the all software version not Samsung utility version...Anyway, the last version , 2.1.1.x, is the one they wanted money for it.So , if you paid for that version , you're at the last one.

Yes, it looks like we are hitting a wall every time we want an answer from their support staff....No matter if it is about a bug in software or about something else....I can't say for sure if they really don't know or they don't want to know what we talking about when we ask them a legitimate question.

Rgds

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
hdd00":3ce5qmri said:
[post]10441[/post] Yes, it looks like we are hitting a wall every time we want an answer from their support staff..

I think this has always been the big issue with Chinese made data recovery tools. I don't know if it primarily relates to communication being lost in translation or what, but the support is always useless.