External hard drive recovery

janken84

Hello

I bought a mac a while ago. I transferred the files from my old computer to an external hard drive, but managed to lose all the files when the drive was formatted for mac. The old computer died in the mean time, and no files can be recovered from that. Is it possible to get the files from the original lap top back, and what program or service is best to use?

Regards
-Janken

jol

janken84":1vxvjn72 said:
The old computer died in the mean time, and no files can be recovered from that.
have you sent it to a DR pro ?
it MIGHT be easier to recover that one then the formatted one.

all the old data who was overwritten with new data (formatted) is gone for ever
the rest of of MIGHT be recoverable in RAW (most likely the root directory is gone wither)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
janken84":15w3tprg said:
[post]9878[/post] no files can be recovered from that

Just because your computer guy couldn't get files from it doesn't mean it's unrecoverable by a professional lab. Might only cost a few hundred dollars depending on where you're at.

As to the external drive reformatted for mac, it's likely that a partial recovery can be done. But, just know that any new data you added after the format will have overwritten old data and that data can never be recovered.

There is software such as R-Studio that can be used to scan the drive and see what's recoverable. You can get a pretty good idea even from just the demo of what it'll be able to recover once you buy a license key.

TimEiffel

The external hard drive can fail in working due to a variety of reasons like bad power supply, corrupted operating system, virus attack and so on. In such case, you should need to take professional help for the safe and secure data retrieval from the corrupted units.
Belfast data recovery has a team of skilled data recovery Belfast engineers which are well-aware from latest data recovery equipment and technology and thus able to recover back the whole lost data or files efficiently.

If you are in the UK, we recommend you use a reputable lab, unlike ours who likes to spam forums in order to sneak links back to our sites. A couple we recommend are:

PCImage and DataBusters

Moderator Note: Modified because of spam.

Ashley Ballard

I think you should have made the partition changes from inside Windows, which would allow you to shrink the partition, and create a second from the free space.
Or, install an NTFS driver for Mac OS to allow writing to NTFS.
Or copy the contents to your HFS+ volume as Mac can read NTFS just fine.
ONLY copy, should be a clue to move files to another hard drive before making partition changes and to edit, at least to me. Only copy, as you are wiping out primary hard drive as well.
And you can try data recovery software like [glow=red]GARBAGE SOFTWARE SPAM REMOVED[/glow].

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Ashley Ballard":154o52zl said:
I think you should have made the partition changes from inside Windows, which would allow you to shrink the partition, and create a second from the free space.
Or, install an NTFS driver for Mac OS to allow writing to NTFS.
Or copy the contents to your HFS+ volume as Mac can read NTFS just fine.
ONLY copy, should be a clue to move files to another hard drive before making partition changes and to edit, at least to me. Only copy, as you are wiping out primary hard drive as well.
And you can try data recovery software like [glow=red]GARBAGE SOFTWARE SPAM REMOVED[/glow].

[shadow=blue]One more spam dump like this, where you clearly didn't even read any of the discussion, will get your products permanently banned here.[/shadow]

Data recovery related spam isn't strictly prohibited here. If you want to talk about your products you can start a new thread and discuss them. But, giving garbage advice like this will get a permanent ban on even the mention of your products here.

Blindly promoting data recovery software is not allowed.

[shadow=red]You've been warned!!![/shadow]