Error Trying To Recover From HDD Clone

Ryan

Thank you very much Jarad and datahaze for your advice.

But after reviewing how to use dderescue I think it may be too advanced for my level of ability, especially since I have no knowledge of Linux. I think I might have to spend more time learning how to use it and assembling the necessary tools than actually recovering the data. And I am afraid I would make a mistake since I am so unfamiliar with everything. It scares me. I'm sure it must be an excellent tool, but it seems too advanced for me.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan":1o3k7rhf said:
Thank you very much Jarad and datahaze for your advice.

But after reviewing how to use dderescue I think it may be too advanced for my level of ability, especially since I have no knowledge of Linux. I think I might have to spend more time learning how to use it and assembling the necessary tools than actually recovering the data. And I am afraid I would make a mistake since I am so unfamiliar with everything. It scares me. I'm sure it must be an excellent tool, but it seems too advanced for me.

I totally understand. Data recovery is not for the faint of heart, and mistakes happen all the time that can lead to irreversible data loss. Perhaps it'd be worth considering hiring a data recovery company to handle it. If you're able to image using ddrescue at all, it's likely still a sub $500 case.

Freakazoid

Jared":3dvru1ri said:
[post]10975[/post]
Ryan":3dvru1ri said:
[post]10968[/post] Don't expect R-Studio can do it, but maybe I will give it a try

R-Studio can image drives (if they are relatively healthy). You just have to enable "write" in the settings, then right click the drive and select "copy object to". That'll bring up the copy object menu.

However, a better method of cloning is to use ddrescue in Linux. I wrote up a guide for that here: how-to-clone-a-hard-drive-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133.html

just a question.. is ddrescue better to use than acronis ?

pclab

Completely different software to work with different cases.
Acronis can do an image of a good drive to another while DDRESCUE is used to image a drive that have problems (bad sectors, etc).

Freakazoid

pclab":1yk9zg45 said:
[post]12259[/post] Completely different software to work with different cases.
Acronis can do an image of a good drive to another while DDRESCUE is used to image a drive that have problems (bad sectors, etc).

Ahh ok i see :) Thanks for answer.