ER-Tools And Acetoollab [ Experience With Headswaps/Platter Stucks ]

Blizzard

I use the spin or spin/tap technique to release and often find that the heads still work. I have the aluminum unstick tools but I won't use them. I have used the plastic unstick tools in the past but not any more. I can't see how you can slide an aluminum tool across the platters, use pressure to seat it, and expect no platter damage. I have my doubts about the plastic tools being safe too. If the tools are working for others that's great, we all have to do what we are comfortable with and believe will get the customer the best results.

LarrySabo

Looks good! I think I damaged my drive when I removed the bottom screw. I don't use a bench, so have to tilt the drive to get at the screw. It was at that time that the tool swung around and cause the damage. If my clean chamber were taller, I'd use a bench and that would reduce a lot of the risk of this sort of thing happening. Overall, I'm really pleased with all of your tools and don't want to leave a false impression to the contrary.

LarrySabo":zgaorh4c said:
Looks good! I think I damaged my drive when I removed the bottom screw. I don't use a bench, so have to tilt the drive to get at the screw. It was at that time that the tool swung around and cause the damage. If my clean chamber were taller, I'd use a bench and that would reduce a lot of the risk of this sort of thing happening. Overall, I'm really pleased with all of your tools and don't want to leave a false impression to the contrary.

Have you tried the tool again on a different Drive ?

RighteousEvil

Jared":t5bmqaj1 said:
I've really never used the tools for unsticking heads. For that, I much prefer to use the method of spinning the platters until they free up, as it has a much better success rate. I really only use them for swapping heads in drives that don't have ramps, and they work quite well for that.

As to scratching the platters, I've never experienced that. As long as the tool is rested on the bottom of the HDA it doesn't really make any contact with the platters. I will admit, I feel safer with the plastic ones than the metal ones.

Hello. I have a old Maxtor Diamondmax 10 320 HDD which I want to use to practice unsticking heads. But boy this aint easy. I tried rotating the spindle CC and move the headstack to the edges and I will still hear the high pitch sound. what seems like very amooth plastics rubbing over eachother. Im not sure if its the heads rubbing the platters. I giess so or could it be yhe pivot of yhe headstack? I really want to learn this correctly. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Here are some pictures of ghe opened drive. https://postimg.cc/gallery/Hsmm8nD

Also I seen this toolset on aliexpress. But Im not sure if the WD set has the unsticking combs or just the HSA shims? They all seem too short.

RighteousEvil

Blizzard":4d3s7fla said:
I use the spin or spin/tap technique to release and often find that the heads still work. I have the aluminum unstick tools but I won't use them. I have used the plastic unstick tools in the past but not any more. I can't see how you can slide an aluminum tool across the platters, use pressure to seat it, and expect no platter damage. I have my doubts about the plastic tools being safe too. If the tools are working for others that's great, we all have to do what we are comfortable with and believe will get the customer the best results.

How does the spin/tap technique work.

RighteousEvil

RighteousEvil":28t0f8qu said:
Jared":28t0f8qu said:
I've really never used the tools for unsticking heads. For that, I much prefer to use the method of spinning the platters until they free up, as it has a much better success rate. I really only use them for swapping heads in drives that don't have ramps, and they work quite well for that.

As to scratching the platters, I've never experienced that. As long as the tool is rested on the bottom of the HDA it doesn't really make any contact with the platters. I will admit, I feel safer with the plastic ones than the metal ones.

Hello. Do you use torque screwdrivers to reseat the headstack after inspecting the heads?
Is it needed for all drives?