Donor Head Matching

jinarto

Hello All,

patient 640GB (seal not yet open the drive), i think have 4 physicall head and use 3 heads.
donor i have 4 heads on 500gb. (if 1TB i sure match).

Anybody know case above match for swap head ?

Thanks,
Jinarto

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you've got a 500Gb with 4 heads and a 640Gb with only 3, I'd be willing to bet you're looking at two totally different families of drive.

Perhaps you should try posting some relevant details. If you want a meaningful answer you need to provide actual details.

jinarto

Dear Jared,

sorry my last post on above not detail information drives

Patient :
Model : MK6475GSX
Capacity : 640GB
Made in China
Date : 23 FEB 2012
PCB id : G002825A

Donor :
MK5059GSXP
Capacity : 500GB
Main in China
Date : 23 OCT 2011
PCB id : G002825A

thanks,
Jinarto

Sam

Does the donor spin up and stay spinning with the patient PCB... and not make any clicking, etc?

jinarto

hi Sam,
not yet try the donor hdd with patient pcb. if not any unusual sounds or normal spin it is mean match.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
75GSX and 59GSX are two different families of drive. Maybe the heads are cross compatible, but I highly doubt it. I guess you never know unless you try it.

Sam

jinarto":1mupn7nw said:
[post]11797[/post]
hi Sam,
not yet try the donor hdd with patient pcb. if not any unusual sounds or normal spin it is mean match.

Not necessarily. There are other things to look for such as label on heads and slider topography. For me this would be a last resort. This would be a good example of the need to experiment first on a drive other than the patient. But then you'd have your matching donor :D
As Jared said, they're different families and it's best to "keep it in the family".