Dolphin - video for 300$!! Does anyone know if there is something new here?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'll let someone else buy it and let me know if it's worth the $300.

lcoughey

They say that it is restricted to be only viewed by the purchaser. Tempting to get everyone to pitch in, start a screen share then all watch together.

Flameborn

I feel a bit sorry for resurrecting a post but I think it's better than making a new post, asking the exact same thing.

My boss is fixated on recovering HDDs with scratched platters these days so I am scouring the net for information but there is hardly anything that makes sense. The tidbits of info that does make sense is mostly from this forum, sometimes other forums like this but with always the same people in the conversation.

So I ask, anyone seen the video? Do you know if there is something useful in there or is it just a glorified advertisement for some of their tools? Is Dolphin Labs a respectable business? My boss is ready to throw down the cash but I wouldn't want to waste his money.

Thank you for your time.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen the video, but I'm relatively certain it'll be a waste of your money. It'll probably just tell you how their tool can make a head map and tell you to disable the heads for the damaged surfaces.

If you can see damage, trust me, you are wasting your time. But, hey, if you boss wants to toss $300 on a chance of finding some gems, go for it. Let us know how it works out. I've certainly wasted more money on data recovery training materials that turned out to be nothing but a good laugh. (point-in-case HDRC training).

Also, when they talk about platter cleaning, I think they are referring to cleaning off fingerprints and that sort of thing. Not cleaning off scratches.

Flameborn

Jared, thank you for the input. I'll just tell him that I think it would be a waste of money but ultimately it is up to him. I told him the mechanics of a scratch on the platter and what makes them more work than they are worth but it feels nice that he is open to experimenting. As long as he listens to my warnings and does not fill the sonic cleaner with acetone or isopropil...

bledaone

To be honest I've some hard time understanding their tutorials on YouTube. The sound isn't that good, sounds quite mumbling. Maybe the microphone is placed too far from the speaker?

LarrySabo

I find that downloading their videos (using Free Download Manager) then playing them in VLC lets me crank up the volume substantially using the mouse wheel. That helps make them more intelligible.