Dealing with deleted, corrupt files

dow

Hello there,
I came through reddit to the forum, and found it very helpful so far :)
I was wondering if you could help me understand how a software is dealing with deleted and corrupted files. I have a HD here, from which I recovered some deleted files, but none of those seem to work. I used R-Studio and after the scan some files were recovered in different formats. My question is, how a software like R-Studio knows which file to recover, even though they don't seem to function properly.
For example, I have a large dbx-outlook-file that can't be read by whatever tool I try (converter, repair dbx tools etc). How does R-Studio determine that that portion of the drive actually was an dbx file, if so much seems to be corrupt? Could it be, that the software only recovered the information such as "here begins dbx-file and continues to sector 10, is 4gb large" ?

I used an image of the HD, then R-Studio to recover. It's not important data, I just use it to get an understanding of deleted files.

If there is somewhat bundled information on the principles on how to deal with corrupt files, feel free to point me there :)

Greets
dow

jol

(1) example of a junk file
(in short)
deleted a file
record on root directory still exist
new data had overwritten the old data
but since the old record still exist n points to the old (deleted) data
u r getting junk
(basically there should be another record in the root directory who points to a good file)

dow

I see, thanks jol.
I assume, the next step would be to take a look at partially overwritten files. Is it practicable to extract some remaining information (e.g. parts of a video or only some text from a database) from home or is that a job on its own?