DDRescue Errors

Miton

I've been trying to use ddrescue to recover my disk's data. On the first attempt, ddrescue was very slow, only updating every few minutes to an hour. The linux operating system eventually froze and I had to restart. On the second attempt, things went about the same until suddenly the program started going a lot faster but read nothing but errors. Could anyone give me some possible advice as to what's causing this behavior? Why did the program do nothing (including updating time/read rates) for long periods of time, and why did it start reading errors at such a fast rate? How likely is it that ddrescue and any other programs I use would cause further damage to the disk at this point? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

jol

I really hope its your drive
cuz it sounds like you killed the drive (definitely made it a lot more worse than already is) by hammering it with software level

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you're original HDD is having issues. Probably is a hardware failure.

What type of drive is it? What was the original issue that prompted you to ddrescue it?