ddrescue - cannot see output on target disk

berifarni

hi, all,

i am using knoppix 8.2 and using the ddrescue to run data recovery. however, after running for a day, it got stucked at 97%. i manually invoke to stop it and now i can't see the output of ddrescue on my target disk. could it be hidden or anything else that i have missed?

thanks in advance for any advice.

berifarni

this is the log:

# Mapfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.22
# Command line: ddrescue -f -R /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /home/knoppix/Desktop/log2.log
# Start time: 2019-04-05 16:16:22
# Current time: 2019-04-06 17:07:39
# Copying non-tried blocks... Pass 1 (backwards)
# current_pos current_status current_pass
0xC60390000 ? 1
# pos size status
0x00000000 0xC60380000 ?
0xC60380000 0xDC7E980000 +

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't look like you read anywhere close to 97%. More like 10% and that was only at the end of the drive where there's probably no data. The drive probably went offline and ddrescue just kept erroring out from there.

Probably is a case better left to professionals with the right equipment.

berifarni

Jared":2wkhmu7p said:
Doesn't look like you read anywhere close to 97%. More like 10% and that was only at the end of the drive where there's probably no data. The drive probably went offline and ddrescue just kept erroring out from there.

Probably is a case better left to professionals with the right equipment.

many thxs good bro, jared! i have anoter question and hope that you can advise. normally, how many passes should a drive be run to recover data. is 1 pass enough? thxs again.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
berifarni":15987kcd said:
[post]13755[/post] is 1 pass enough?

That all depends on the case. If you read all the sectors in one pass, then sure one is enough. But in cases where there's more damage it'll require more to get a good result.

berifarni

Jared":3rgsnxuu said:
berifarni":3rgsnxuu said:
[post]13755[/post] is 1 pass enough?

That all depends on the case. If you read all the sectors in one pass, then sure one is enough. But in cases where there's more damage it'll require more to get a good result.

thxs jared.

what if i interrupt the ddrescue process and will i still get some of the data written? thxs.

berifarni

allow me one last important question, after one round of ddrescue.

if the faulty hard disk can re-run ddrescue again to recover data?

will the faulty hard disk be deemed impossible for any further data recovery?

many thxs.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Every time you try to image data in a damaged area of a hard disk you stress the read/write heads. They will eventually fail if pushed too much. This is why, if the data is critical, it's best to get it to a professional with proper hardware imaging tools and the knowledge of how far you can push each model of drive.

ddrescue is fine if you have a few bad sectors, but for badly damaged drives there's no substitute for professional services.