DBAN and data recovery

sucrey

Hello,

I have a question for you guys if you don't mind giving me an answer.

I used DBAN and wiped an HDD using DoD method then installed windows. After that wiped the drive again using Dod short and installed windows for the second time.

My question is if there are any chance that a person can recover data from that drive by using softwares or special ways? Is it ok to wipe a drive that was used under Mackintosh (HFS) with DBAN using windows?

Thank you in advance and any help would be appreciated.

Peace :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If the wipe actually wiped all sectors even one time, it is fine and nothing is recoverable. DoD is nothing but a waste of time and electricity. A single wipe is more than enough.

sucrey

Hello Jared,

Thanks for your reply.

What about the hidden areas? Do you have any information about what does it means?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HDDs can have something called an HPA (host protected area) which is a hidden range of sectors that's not normally visible. If you are just talking about a laptop, the only thing that might be in an HPA is the laptop vendor recovery boot. If you don't know what an HPA is you can safely assume none of your data is saved there.

That's more something that corporations or governments would need to be concerned with. Any place where they worry about employees trying to smuggle data out of the facility using a drive that was "wiped" but had data intentionally hidden in the HPA.