Data Recovery Online Estimator Tool

HaQue

Hi Jared, a couple of comments. Obviously mine will be flash-centric :)

1) the choice between monolith and PCB - many customers haven't opened the device and wouldn't even think to do so, or would be afraid to, so IMHO a new option "I don't know" is needed. Many people don't know what monolithic means, what PCB means or even components. maybe a picture of each example, say a line-up of a MicroSD, Monolith USB and Monolith SD? and then a PCB based SD and Flash drive for first choice.

2) I went through the process, sorry if the fake response is a problem, though my details are true if you ever need them :) It was the only way to test the number 1 pet hate for online quotes - not actually getting an instant quote. When I fill these out, I really don't want to enter in my details. I understand from your point of view why you would want them, but if I have to press submit, then wait for someone to review it and create the quote, then it really isn't an "instant online quote" and I am left sitting at the PC waiting to see if it is going to instant and I get it soon or if it will come in the next few hours or days or even at all. (many systems are running fine out there, but neglected and never produce a result)

Anyway, the forms are well set out and the process itself seems to work fine. Kudos for proactively trying to work out better customer service, a big plus in my opinion.

cheers

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
HaQue":12zc8km3 said:
Hi Jared, a couple of comments. Obviously mine will be flash-centric :)

1) the choice between monolith and PCB - many customers haven't opened the device and wouldn't even think to do so, or would be afraid to, so IMHO a new option "I don't know" is needed. Many people don't know what monolithic means, what PCB means or even components. maybe a picture of each example, say a line-up of a MicroSD, Monolith USB and Monolith SD? and then a PCB based SD and Flash drive for first choice.

2) I went through the process, sorry if the fake response is a problem, though my details are true if you ever need them :) It was the only way to test the number 1 pet hate for online quotes - not actually getting an instant quote. When I fill these out, I really don't want to enter in my details. I understand from your point of view why you would want them, but if I have to press submit, then wait for someone to review it and create the quote, then it really isn't an "instant online quote" and I am left sitting at the PC waiting to see if it is going to instant and I get it soon or if it will come in the next few hours or days or even at all. (many systems are running fine out there, but neglected and never produce a result)

Anyway, the forms are well set out and the process itself seems to work fine. Kudos for proactively trying to work out better customer service, a big plus in my opinion.

cheers

Yes, the monolith / non-monolith is a bit of a catch point I found too. Unfortunately Google forms doesn't let me add images, but perhaps I will add a link to an article with some images with contrasting pictures.

I had considered leaving it out, but it has such a profound affect on the pricing it's hard to leave that out. Perhaps an "I don't know" option which will land them on a page with the full scale of price range would be better.

Thanks for the feedback!

LarrySabo

I think it's well done but as Brian mentioned, the customer may know nothing about some of the variables, e.g., whether it's a hardware failure. The last two items in "How was the data was lost" are ambiguous when it comes to not recognized in the BIOS. Most of my customers are non-technical and would have no idea whether the drive is recognized in the BIOS or not. It may also be difficult for them to tell whether the drive is spinning or not, and they may not be able to hear whatever noise the drive is making (especially when the drive is still embedded in the laptop). You could also add variables for "Plugged in a laptop adapter and let the magic smoke out," or "Opened the drive to see if anything obvious presented itself." Nevertheless, it should be helpful to some prospective customers.

Personally, I prefer to discuss the problem with the customer to get the background and a sense of what the problem might be, and to encourage them to bring it in for a free assessment so I can provide a realistic estimate. It also provides an opportunity to get a sense of how important ($$$) the data is to recover, whether they are a business or consumer, whether they have gotten estimates from competitors, etc.

Nice concept. But most clients don't know exactly what went wrong with their drive. They are likely to take the easy way out just to have an idea of the pricing. I still preferred the physical examination in the lab.

hipo

This is not bad, look nice and user friendly.
But our customers don't make difference between WD and Seagate :D even when I talk with some one from IT department can not collect helpful information to make a price. I always make price after free diagnostic and if customer accept this price I will continue with work.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":bfspxhs0 said:
[post]4918[/post] the customer may know nothing about some of the variables, e.g., whether it's a hardware failure

I realize that, and I'm certain that the tool isn't for everyone. I think it may be more useful for computer shops who have clients on hand and would like to be able to provide a price estimate to them when deciding whether or not to send it out to us. Or for those who are a little more tech savvy, as I expect they are more likely to be the ones who demand an instant online quote. Those with no tech knowledge I suspect are more likely to pick up the phone.

LarrySabo":bfspxhs0 said:
[post]4918[/post] Personally, I prefer to discuss the problem with the customer to get the background

And, i'm hoping that's where they eventually land even after using the form. My plan it to get people engaged with the process, and hope they continue to the end of the form and fill in contact details. Even if they answer some questions wrong and get the wrong quote, it's still a way to hopefully make contact.

LarrySabo

Jared":3b1m47nv said:
[post]4923[/post] I'm certain that the tool isn't for everyone. I think it may be more useful for computer shops who have clients on hand and would like to be able to provide a price estimate to them when deciding whether or not to send it out to us.
Yes, I didn't think of that. It could be helpful in such cases.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just had my first actual customer submission on the form this afternoon. Only 24 hours after launching it. So I guess it actually does work :D .