Data Recovery Head Scratching Case of The Day

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So here's a case that had me baffled for a good hour or so before I finally figured out what was going on. Hope you'll get a good laugh out of it too.

Case is a WD2500BEVT-22ZCT0 drive described as clicking. Drive has head map of 0 2 3 (physically missing head 1). When I open it up in the clean room for inspection, first thing I find is that head 0 has flipped up and is on the wrong side of the parking ramp nearly poking the back of head 2. But, after removing and inspecting the heads, everything looks secure and fine. Just the mystery of how the head got on the wrong side of the ramp, which looks perfectly fine and not deformed in any way.

So, I decided to give a go at using the original heads. Put them back on the ramp proper and close up. Drive ID's, SA backup is made, and I begin imaging. At the first read error that it hits, I get one loud click and the drive starts clicking like it's bad heads again.

I open back up to find a missing slider on head 0 now and it's back on the wrong side of the ramp. Strange....

So I put in donor heads and try again. Drive immediately starts clicking again like the heads are bad.

Open up again, and see that the donor heads are now missing slider 4, :shock:

Completely confounded as to how these heads keep getting mangled, I finally decided to run the drive with the top off and something blocking the heads from reaching the platters. Observing it, I see the platters spin up, then the heads jump completely off the back of the parking ramp and back onto the parking ramp before moving toward the platters. :shock:

Can you spot the culprit?
20210421_152440.jpg

End of the story, drive is now imaging with a second set of donor heads and a donor dinggilybobbery thingy (whatever you call this).

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":3b4vo8we said:
Wow! Amazed that it was recoverable after all that beating.

Jared":3b4vo8we said:
[post]17935[/post] dinggilybobbery thingy
:lol: It's called a limiter, no?

Maybe, I don't know. Unfortunately, I am hitting a lot of bad sectors. But, getting enough data to get paid it seems.