Data recovery from SSD, physically nothing wrong nor is it failing

duckrek01

I found myself in a little pickle with data being lost, However I was able to retrieve, but i didn't proceed with anymore since I didn't want to overwrite without clonning my ssd. I was using DMDE to recover those files, but I didn't find out about the cloning the drive until someone mentioned on the post. Then I realized, I should have taken look at the sticky points nailed to the sidebar.

I would like to follow the guide that you provided on datarecovery subreddit. Before, I proceed with the step with https://www.data-medics.com/forum/h...e-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133.htmlto I really want to find out if I need to go through this step even if I don't have any failure or bad sectors. For recovery tool, I planning to use R-studio.

Jared":xh6qwcxw said:
When you clone a drive using ddrescue it's a block level copy, not file level. So anything you have on there will get nuked by the new image.
One of comment by Jared, it really stuck on my head. I would like to know if I got this right. From my understanding, does that mean when using ddrescue, it will overwrite and create new image. I don't want this to happen if thats the case

I was wondering if someone can suggest me what to do for my scenario where I have SSD drive that is perfectly working, though problem started within windows level.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It will overwrite the destination media. That's what I was referring to. If you are writing to a file then you don't have to worry about it.

duckrek01

Jared":29ui0qwb said:
It will overwrite the destination media. That's what I was referring to. If you are writing to a file then you don't have to worry about it.

I have empty space allocated on my external WD easystore for the clone C drive, Are you saying it will it overwrite other stuff as well on the external drive ?

I am sorry, bit confused here what do you mean by this "If you are writing to a file then you don't have to worry about it."

duckrek01

Jared":1dcdatdm said:
I am planning to allocated some space on my external easystore in a specific empty folder. I do have media on it.

I am bit of novice here, I was wondering when you said "if you are writing to a file then you don't have to worry about it."
It will be writing to a specific area, but what file ?

duckrek01

Can someone help me with the approach I should take when only needing to recover the documents and other program profiles. The r-studio demo isn't helpful since if the size of file exceed the 256kbb limit. What paid version should I go with R-studio, Its NTFS, i am trying to recover from. Will the lowest price match my needs?

pclab

If you can find the files using the demo version, you can get the cheapest version R-Studio NTFS, but for 20$ get the "normal" version at 79$.

duckrek01

pclab":1yjyyq53 said:
If you can find the files using the demo version, you can get the cheapest version R-Studio NTFS, but for 20$ get the "normal" version at 79$.

If I find the files, is it still necessary to follow the clonning process, Its my understanding that no matter what, its always best practice to clone the drive and do whatever is needed.

pclab

duckrek01":u8jt3kf3 said:
[post]17525[/post]
pclab":u8jt3kf3 said:

If I find the files, is it still necessary to follow the clonning process, Its my understanding that no matter what, its always best practice to clone the drive and do whatever is needed.

Yes, it's always recommended that you do a clone of the drive and work on the clone.

duckrek01

I am sorry bother, but I want to be certain, Is a blank drive necessary for the step to clone, are there any repercussion if I use a drive that has backups stuff of mine ? I don't wish those things to get overwriting by the clone.

Will it be a safe bet, go purchase a cheap that is same size or larger then do the clone
Thanks, much appreciated