Data Medics Succeeds Where DriveSavers Failed

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just had a case I started on this week. DriveSavers gave up on it and declared it "unrecoverable due to too much media damage".

On arrival I see that the drive ID's and shows capacity, able to read both copies of SA just fine. However drive is unable to access sectors.

I regenerate ROM from SA (as I suspected it might not be original or might be sabotaged)
Still doesn't have sector access, however all SA modules do check out.
Work a little bit of my SA magic to fix some things up, and I'm now reading data from all heads with minimal bad sectors.

So I guess they did me the favor of doing a headswap, just didn't know how to fix the firmware so it'd work. :lol:

LarrySabo

Good job, Jared. You mean they left the donor heads in the patient, or they spared you the need to do that because they tried it without success?

lcoughey

We recently did a 3TB WD drive recovery here that DriveSavers also gave up on and called unrecoverable. We recovered about 85% of the data, but it did require 3 head changes to get there.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
abedalkareem":wu6xt2x2 said:
Good JOB , can you clarify how much the Damaged media it was and did you take a photo for scratches can be shared ??

I don't think there's any visible scratches. I've recovered over 99% of the sectors just fine. The issue was in the firmware, they just didn't know how to fix it so they chalked it up to media damage.