Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks for updating us on it!!! :D

cheadledatarecovery
Data Recovery Noob

Cross Compatible WD Families

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Hello all,

Just to add to the Diablo3D / Diablo3S compatibility:

I've just been working on a failed Diablo3D. It was using a head-map of 0145 and I was struggling to find a suitable donor. I tried using a Diablo3S, with suitable DCM and microjogs. It provided some unusual results. It was possible to initialise the HDD to RDY, however, SA access was intermittent. If I blocked access to the SA (any method) then I could read Copy 0 modules. However, all the other heads were unresponsive. There was no write functionality for Head 0. If I allowed access to the SA the HDD would ID, but take a long time to read modules, sometimes it would click, and spin-down, then up then re-calibrate. Generally, it behaved in quite an odd way. I gave up, and swapped the heads back into the donor, and the heads still worked OK.

In the end, I used a 3TB Disablo3D which used 6 heads. With some physical alteration to the head assembly to account for the missing platter in the patient, it was possible to initialise the patient HDD on the first power on and read normally.

Best regards,
John

Jared
Forum Admin

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Sometimes heads, even of the same family, are a close enough match to read SA but not the user area. So I'm not surprised by your findings. I've had very similar things happen with same family, same model drives when just the date was a little too far off. I'd bet if you found a Diablo 3S with a closer date it'd work just as well as the 3D one.

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Has anyone ever found a family that is cross compatible for heads with Helios?

I've got one here now I'm quoting and the only donors I'm seeing are all $300 and up, or have the wrong DCM (which from what I'm seeing on Donor Drives seems to indicate a different preamp vendor). I'm noticing Shasta 3D looks very similar and has same number of heads as well as a similar time period of manufacture. The aerial density is a couple hundred different, but that's not always a deal breaker.

Did anyone try this? Otherwise, I'll have to either shell out the money or hope that a different preamp vendor drive will still work.

Blizzard
Experienced DR Tech

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Jared wrote:Has anyone ever found a family that is cross compatible for heads with Helios?

I've got one here now I'm quoting and the only donors I'm seeing are all $300 and up, or have the wrong DCM (which from what I'm seeing on Donor Drives seems to indicate a different preamp vendor). I'm noticing Shasta 3D looks very similar and has same number of heads as well as a similar time period of manufacture. The aerial density is a couple hundred different, but that's not always a deal breaker.

Did anyone try this? Otherwise, I'll have to either shell out the money or hope that a different preamp vendor drive will still work.

Yes, I have at least 2 examples of using Shasta 3D for Helios donor here.

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks, I hadn't looked at your list in a little while. I added that pairing as well as the McKinley / Venus pairing I see there now.

Return to “Western Digital Data Recovery”