Corsair SSD and deleted files

Raptor_uk

Greetings everyone, first post..
Corsair Force 3 SSD - Trim not enabled
So have around 600 files that have been deleted '*.cr2' various consumer recover programs recover the files, some are OK most are not, the properties report roughly the correct size, the source drive has not been written to any, using a hex editor the files look empty but as said before display as 28mb any idea's

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
First off, welcome to the forum. :D

What was the original filesystem type? NTFS, HFS+?
Also, what software have you already tried? How full was the SSD? It may be that the files are fragmented. Or it could be some other strange anomaly.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
For NTFS your best bet is going to be to use R-Studio and be sure to scan the full drive image.

Usually raw images such as CR2 are found just fine. Just be sure to check for other raw image file types in the extra found files that the program returns. Sometimes the extension the camera saves them as isn't the same as data recovery software is finding them as.

If you're still not finding the files using R-Studio it's either that the files have an odd characteristic, such as an embedded thumbnail, which is confusing the software, or the files are fragmented. There's not much that can be done if the files are fragmented and software can't find the filesystem reference. At least not without significant manual work that'll cost a fortune. If it's just an odd file type, I'm sure one of us can help write a custom XML file to plug into R-Studio so it will recognize them.

Raptor_uk

Many thnx Jared, it's running NOW will check tonight when I back home, I don't mind paying if the files can truly be stitched back / recovered..

jol

Jared":d7qc9in0 said:
...or the files are fragmented.
given that CR2 files are not small files and there ARE some of them recovered, there is a likelihood that those unrecovered files are fragmented
Jared":d7qc9in0 said:
If it's just an odd file type, I'm sure one of us can help write a custom XML file to plug into R-Studio so it will recognize them.
in order to that you'll have to provide a good example file

Raptor_uk

Well it looks like it's found the files which product do I buy to recover and will they actually be recovered..? thnx in advance

jol

Raptor_uk":39pqvl6y said:
[post]8150[/post] Well it looks like it's found the files which product do I buy to recover and will they actually be recovered..? thnx in advance
then you buy the product who can handle it
the question is, you already tried a few programs but recovered non accessible/junk files...

Raptor_uk":39pqvl6y said:
[post]8151[/post] Ahh, one sec there is no data in the hex editor preview... any idea's..?
the root directory has likely been gone/damaged, and maybe there are entries that leads to the empty sectors
the question is what's the result given in raw search

Raptor_uk

then you buy the product who can handle it
the question is, you already tried a few programs but recovered non accessible/junk files...
I ment from the R-Studio ;)

the root directory has likely been gone/damaged, and maybe there are entries that leads to the empty sectors
the question is what's the result given in raw search
I running detailed scan in R-Studio now, only for CR2 / CRW files

I really appreciate ALL the guidance :)

Regards

Kev