Coronavirus COVID-19 Affecting Data Recovery Business?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone seeing any significant changes to business as usual in the data recovery sector? (E.G. severe slowdowns in new cases)

So far it seems to be pretty normal here, but there are still only a few confirmed cases locally too. I'm curious how it's affecting you guys over in Italy, China, Japan, Korea, etc. that have been dealing with this weeks longer than we have.

I'm suspecting that with so many people working from home on their laptops (instead of normal desktops) we'll eventually see a boon of new laptop HDD cases coming in. People are bound to start saving stuff on their desktop instead of the normal network share they used at the office.

pclab

Here in Europe it's starting to be a chaos...
They want to close the entire countries.
The business is still going normal for now, but who knows...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I am seeing an unusually slow week right now, only two new cases have come in for recovery. But, I'm thinking it's largely just that people are busy doomsday prepping and buying up all the toilet paper in town, instead of actually working and breaking their HDDs.

pclab

In here it was just announced that schools will be closed for 1 month and probably all other services will break down as well.

I just hope that kids (and grown ups) being at home so much time will fed up and hammer the pc's and laptops :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
They just closed all the schools here today too. We're up to 14 cases in Rhode Island, which for the smallest state in the USA, which is 90% all living in the Providence metropolitan area is a lot. Pretty safe to assume it's out and about in all our neighborhoods now.

LarrySabo

I was surprised to read that an infected elderly Canadian couple on one of the cruise ships had no symptoms at all, and neither did about 80% of others who were infected. I think it will spread to all of us at some point, so staying away from public places and other people is about all you can do to delay the inevitable. With all the work-at-home directives, it seems to me the demand for data recovery and computer repairs will increase, marginally. Hopefully, all they drop off will be computers and hard drives. :shock:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they're saying that most children barely even manifest symptoms at all before recovering. Probably why it's able to spread so easily. The range of severity is extreme.

pclab

Today quarantine was declared, so everything will be closed for 2 weeks at least (and probably more).
So, this is will surely affect all business...

We are fuc****