Coronavirus COVID-19 Affecting Data Recovery Business?

datahaze

Certainly also seeing a dip in sales here in a pretty active outbreak area of the US, expecting a "all non-essential businesses to close" order to come down the pipes soon. I got an e-mail from drivesavers saying they are now offering free faster turnaround on cases, indicating to me they are probably seeing a slowdown too. It's hard to invest in the future in the form of paying for data recovery when things seem so precarious. With so much of the economy shutting down, we have a lot less businesses with data that is going to need recovery as well. Many of the computer and IT shops we normally get drives from have slowed or stopped business entirely.

Hope you all are staying safe and staying away from people as much as you can, this appears to be a new normal at least for a while and it's all of our responsibility to help flatten the curve as they say.

lcoughey

datahaze":21yd2frw said:
Certainly also seeing a dip in sales here in a pretty active outbreak area of the US, expecting a "all non-essential businesses to close" order to come down the pipes soon. I got an e-mail from drivesavers saying they are now offering free faster turnaround on cases, indicating to me they are probably seeing a slowdown too. It's hard to invest in the future in the form of paying for data recovery when things seem so precarious. With so much of the economy shutting down, we have a lot less businesses with data that is going to need recovery as well. Many of the computer and IT shops we normally get drives from have slowed or stopped business entirely.

Hope you all are staying safe and staying away from people as much as you can, this appears to be a new normal at least for a while and it's all of our responsibility to help flatten the curve as they say.
I've had one possible new reseller state that their client has a project at DriveSavers and will probably send my way as they were quoted too much for them to handle.

And, I've had some quoted clients who want to wait and see how things pan out over the next few weeks before making a decision on the work with us.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
lcoughey":3ug8xqpz said:
[post]15759[/post] And, I've had some quoted clients who want to wait and see how things pan out over the next few weeks before making a decision on the work with us.

Yep, I had one case this week that wanted a quote for rush service, but then decided they want to wait a month to decide because they're uncertain of their job security now. So it's hurting us all in some ways already.

slingshot

We started slowing down about 15 days ago, up until then we were very busy. This past week most cases have declined recovery due to financial issues etc but some cases have paid up and some are still coming through the door. Today we had an accountant bring us a drive that an 'IT' company had interfered with, he begged us saying 'he will pay double our prices if we can get his SAGE stuff back' as he is responsible for all his clients payroll :eek: Hopefully that case will make up for the others than amounted to zero.

We think the government is preparing to force lock down on all non-essential services, so we are trying to clear the decks quickly before we can no longer earn a living.

Very strange times indeed.

pclab

Yesterday it was decided here, that computer and tech stores are important and are obliged to be open, so I can go to work.
But the problem will be to get customers. Let's wait and see.

slingshot

pclab":bwtu7hgb said:
Yesterday it was decided here, that computer and tech stores are important and are obliged to be open, so I can go to work.
But the problem will be to get customers. Let's wait and see.

Yes same here, today they released a list of essential services to be kept running and we're on it as 'information technology and data infrastructure sector'. Don't know thats good thing or a bad thing yet :?

today in my country (Jordan), they announced Curfew no one allowed to get out home unless it's an emergency issue

army on the streets, The atmosphere is very quiet outside
City of the Dead :roll: