Copy & Paste Transfer VS Cloning ( Bad Sectors)

yongsua

Hello, I am new to here. I would like to know which one is the better option to recover data from hard disk with bad sectors. Copy & Paste transfer or cloning? As majority of my clients only want their Users folder from Windows OS partition as well as the data from other partitions, I find that recovering the data with Copy & Paste transfer is way much faster than cloning. However, is it a viable solution? Is there any risk of losing more data or causing the hard disk to fail?

I've been cloning 1TB hard disk with GNU ddrescue and it's been taking almost 1 day. I do not know when will it complete. The read error is now 700+ MB, I expect it will grow up to 1.5 GB. It's currently at Pass 5 Copying stage. I am afraid cloning is causing the hard disk to fail even more than before where the data would have been able to be rescued if I'd chosen to copy and paste the data instead of cloning.

pclab

You must be cloning the entire disk, right?
Well, doing that you are spending time cloning user area that you don't need, since you only want some folders.

Using DDRescue or even HDDsuperclone, you can't control that, but using PC3000 or MRT you can select the folders you want and only clone/image that part. But of course, the price is not the same...
And the more time you spend hitting the drive, the more chances you have to get it full damaged.

yongsua

pclab":16e8bah3 said:
Well, doing that you are spending time cloning user area that you don't need, since you only want some folders.

Using DDRescue or even HDDsuperclone, you can't control that, but using PC3000 or MRT you can select the folders you want and only clone/image that part. But of course, the price is not the same...
And the more time you spend hitting the drive, the more chances you have to get it full damaged.

Do you think I should stop cloning now and proceed to file transfer from the new drive?

pclab

yongsua":3jlww2ev said:
[post]11869[/post]
pclab":3jlww2ev said:

Do you think I should stop cloning now and proceed to file transfer from the new drive?

If you think the data already imaged is enough, you can stop.

lcoughey

Cloning is better than file copy which will constantly fail and not log what has already been done. If professional services is absolutely out of the question, push the clone to complete as best it can.