Cleaning HDD Heads & Platters

lcoughey

I've got a few dirty platters laying around that I use to play with and I think that this swab has some potential, but I'm not so sure about the cleaner that comes with it...perhaps if used very sparingly, but it does not evaporate quickly.

slingshot

I'm getting poor results from using 99.9% IPA, it definitely leaves residue on the platter that leaves weird blobs around the sliders. After reading this thread I'm not going near Novec so I'm gonna try the acetone route with the lens wiper or a swab, and see if that gives me better results.

lcoughey

slingshot":36kam7gv said:
I'm getting poor results from using 99.9% IPA, it definitely leaves residue on the platter that leaves weird blobs around the sliders. After reading this thread I'm not going near Novec so I'm gonna try the acetone route with the lens wiper or a swab, and see if that gives me better results.
I've always found that a dry swab is better than 99.9% IPA. Liquid gets contaminated as soon as it touches the dirty surface. Smudging it around doesn't make it any better. So, maybe a damp swab to get some of the debris free, then a dry swap to clean it off.

slingshot

Thanks Luke, I will give that a try using the tight cotton swabs I've got (need to order some of them foam ones). I'm also gonna see if distilled water takes off the IPA residue by using a tight cotton swab dipped in it, with the platter spinning.

LarrySabo

I find that cotton swaps leave fibers behind -- a horrible mess. These ones, at least: HUBY-BB-002.

Luke, how well did those sensor cleaners work? What cleaning solution did you settle on, if you don't mind sharing?

slingshot

LarrySabo":2xuk50ur said:
I find that cotton swaps leave fibers behind -- a horrible mess. These ones, at least: HUBY-BB-002.

I have been using these MG Chemical ones Larry, they seem to remain in tact and I haven't noticed any fibres being dumped into the drive. I have ordered some of the lens wipe stick things to try though.

Pende

Hello What do you recommend to clean disk plates by mistake, my finger protector broke and I left a mark on the hard disk plate, I cleaned it only with swabs. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Well, the last post is quite a while a go, but anyways. I tried these sensor cleaning swaps (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07S8R2FF7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) but didn't have good results as they left some dust on the platter. So I'm curious if anyone here found a good way to clean platters and also heads. I also tried the sensor cleaning swaps with 99.9% IPA, the result was even worth.

Have you had similar results or are my swaps of bad quality?
I will also try "medical water" but it hasn't arrived yet (https://www.aponeo.de/03113087-aqua-ad-injectabilia-miniplasco-connect-inj-lsg.html).

Fingerprints on test platter:
IMG_7569 Groß.jpeg

Fingerprint was removed after 3-4 swipes from the center to the outside of the platter with the dry sensor cleaning swab but dust was left:
IMG_7570 Groß.jpeg

This time I used a little bit of IPA 99,9% on the swap. I ended up with a mess...
IMG_7571 Groß.jpeg

So I'm curious what brought you the best results?!
Have a great weekend all.