Chip-on HDD Flash Programmer Smart

lcoughey

pc3000":3t6uxc3t said:
I have been working with this programmer for years and he reads directly form the board with auto detect
but i cant read Toshiba ROM Because of no access to contacts so i have to take off the chip
You haven't had any issues with the ROM breaking off the board yet? It doesn't happen very often, but it need only happen once, which was enough for me.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had any issues with damaging ROM chips when I removed them. I just wet the contacts with flux, blow the hot air over it, and gently lift the ROM with tweezers. I also don't clamp the PCB down, so if any pins are still attached it'll just lift the board rather than rip the pin off.

But, I have ruined a few rather expensive PCB's from tweaking other components near the ROM. Especially these new WD 2060-800022 boards where the ROM is right next to the main IC. So reading in place would be great in my opinion.

I've got a similar looking setup to what /u/pc3000 posted a picture of, but I've never found it very effective at reading the chips in place.

DFLAB

Jared":6mhqwwbh said:
I've never had any issues with damaging ROM chips when I removed them. I just wet the contacts with flux, blow the hot air over it, and gently lift the ROM with tweezers. I also don't clamp the PCB down, so if any pins are still attached it'll just lift the board rather than rip the pin off.

But, I have ruined a few rather expensive PCB's from tweaking other components near the ROM. Especially these new WD 2060-800022 boards where the ROM is right next to the main IC. So reading in place would be great in my opinion.

I've got a similar looking setup to what /u/pc3000 posted a picture of, but I've never found it very effective at reading the chips in place.
Hello Jared

Thank you for sharing your practice and experience. WD 2060-800022 boards is supported for ROM reading in place by our flash programmer. Also the Seagate EB01 drive chip is supported for read and write without solder.

Tina

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Those two boards alone have cost me at least $150 in ones I've ruined. So I think I'll be ordering this.

Where can we buy?

DFLAB

Jared":1ygu41g6 said:
Those two boards alone have cost me at least $150 in ones I've ruined. So I think I'll be ordering this.

Where can we buy?
Hello Jared

My email is [email protected], can you pls send me an email? I will reply you with purchasing details. The product is available in stock for immediately delivery, you can receive in about 3 or 4 days.

I am using whatsapp and skype, if you prefer, you can reach me at 86 138 8078 0673 on Whatsapp or [email protected] on Skype during our working hour (GMT+8, 9:00am to 18:00pm) for timely service.

Tina