Jared
Forum Admin

Chip-on HDD Flash Programmer Smart

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 pm

I've never had any issues with damaging ROM chips when I removed them. I just wet the contacts with flux, blow the hot air over it, and gently lift the ROM with tweezers. I also don't clamp the PCB down, so if any pins are still attached it'll just lift the board rather than rip the pin off.

But, I have ruined a few rather expensive PCB's from tweaking other components near the ROM. Especially these new WD 2060-800022 boards where the ROM is right next to the main IC. So reading in place would be great in my opinion.

I've got a similar looking setup to what /u/pc3000 posted a picture of, but I've never found it very effective at reading the chips in place.

DFLAB
Official Representative

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 pm

pc3000 wrote:Do you have adapter with cable for ROM like this?

Yes, our flash programmer can support this, and do not need to chip off.

DFLAB
Official Representative

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Jared wrote:I've never had any issues with damaging ROM chips when I removed them. I just wet the contacts with flux, blow the hot air over it, and gently lift the ROM with tweezers. I also don't clamp the PCB down, so if any pins are still attached it'll just lift the board rather than rip the pin off.

But, I have ruined a few rather expensive PCB's from tweaking other components near the ROM. Especially these new WD 2060-800022 boards where the ROM is right next to the main IC. So reading in place would be great in my opinion.

I've got a similar looking setup to what /u/pc3000 posted a picture of, but I've never found it very effective at reading the chips in place.

Hello Jared

Thank you for sharing your practice and experience. WD 2060-800022 boards is supported for ROM reading in place by our flash programmer. Also the Seagate EB01 drive chip is supported for read and write without solder.

Tina

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 am

Those two boards alone have cost me at least $150 in ones I've ruined. So I think I'll be ordering this.

Where can we buy?

DFLAB
Official Representative

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Jared wrote:Those two boards alone have cost me at least $150 in ones I've ruined. So I think I'll be ordering this.

Where can we buy?

Hello Jared

My email is [email protected], can you pls send me an email? I will reply you with purchasing details. The product is available in stock for immediately delivery, you can receive in about 3 or 4 days.

I am using whatsapp and skype, if you prefer, you can reach me at 86 138 8078 0673 on Whatsapp or [email protected] on Skype during our working hour (GMT+8, 9:00am to 18:00pm) for timely service.

Tina

Return to “Dolphin Data Labs”