CHeckDisk deleted vmdk files from my disk after a stopped scan. What can I do to recover they?

Dragonfighter

After a scan of CheckDisk that I accidentally stop on Windows 10 Home my portable Western Digital 2 TB show me the .vmdks files but with a dimension of 0 KB. The disk wasn't used further. How can I recover that files if is it possible? Thanks for any reply.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The first place to check is in the folder labeled Found.000 in the root of the hard drive. It's likely in there as a nameless cnk file. Hopefully, it wasn't fragmented and just be renamed back to a VMDK file. See if any of those files in there look about the right size.

Dragonfighter

Now I found, using Deft Zero, the folder found.001/dir0000.chk/ that contains some files but no the ones I need, found.001/dir0001.chk/ is empty and found.000/dir_00000001.chk/ also is empty. Before the CheckDisk I copied from a Windows 7 some files but when I connected the WD to a Windows 10 on a ASUS N53S emulated(it's a fast 2.0 USB) 3.0 USB port the files and folder wasn't on the disk. After that I tried to delete a folder, that process blocked the PC so I decided to shut down using the power button. After I start the PC it asked my to run a Checkdisk so I runned it and the CheckDisk scan get stuck so I stopped it.