Can SSD stand the test of time ?

Truth be told, I always think SSDs are here to eliminate HDD, like the HDD did to floppy Disk of those days. SSD's are very good but how reliable are they ? SSD's have improved quite a bit lately but a few crappy ones still exist out there in large quantities. I have got few recently for recovery, even more from Apple's SSD. Then I began thinking again, with this failure rate, at beginning of their existence, can the SSD's really send the HDD away by standing the test of time ?. Also we have good standards with HDD, I have really lost count of the different SSD Manufacturers that I have seen in recent times. What do you think ?

pclab

SSD fail like any others (mechanic). Not the same issues, but they fail.
As always, backups are always needed.
What we get with SSD is the speed they provide. Nothing else.

LarrySabo

I agree with Nuno, except we also get immunity to physical impacts, which is one of the reasons SSDs are highly recommended in laptops and external drives (if their limited storage capacity/$$$ is not an issue).

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Bankole Oladoja":io6824ee said:
I hope to see the prices drop real soon.

I don't, SSDs taking over may well mean the end our much or our business. Not to sound selfish, but I'd like to have HDDs coming in for at least another ten years.

HaQue

well first I want them to become more easily recoverable.. then a crap-tonne of them to fail with easily recoverable issues! :)~