Brute Force XOR Set Separator for RAID 50 Arrays

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently in the process of building a rather complex Excel sheet that can brute force XOR groups of numbers using every possible combination of drives to separate lists of HEX values. The concept is that you can take a random sample of a HEX value from the same location of each drive in a RAID 50 array, and it'll tell you what sets of drives XOR to each other.

So far today I've built a sheet that can separate 6 drives into two sets of 3, and another that can separate 8 drives into two sets of 4. Amazingly it works too :D !

Anyone else here who might be interested in either buying into this project when it's finished, hiring my service to separate drives into sets, or wants to contribute time toward getting the project done? Hit me up if so.

I plan to build sheets to separate RAID 50's up to 16 drives (though that'll take some tedious time to code), I might even look into setting up ones that can separate into smaller sets since I know some RAID cards can do three or four sets of RAID 5 in a single RAID 50.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":2qs4xmeo said:
in Excel ?

Yes, in Excel. It might sound goofy, but the latest version can XOR values. So its just a matter of creating an array of formulas using every possible combination of drives and seeing which ones pass.

I know this might be easier to accomplish using bonified programming, but I haven't done any of that in years.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
abedalkareem":1ibbc4y2 said:
I would help you to building those sheets

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. I'm toying with the idea of using a macro to speed up the process for me, just need to work out the specifics. Once I get past ten drives the number of combinations gets excessive to manually key in.