Broken Gimbles [ How To Remove From Platter ]

Hi,
Today i Received a Case ST100LM Series Samsung In External Casing .Upon Inspection i see Heads On Platter With a Broken Gimble of Top Head .Well Tried To Get The Heads On My Tool But No Luck Had to Remove The Ramp And drag Them Out .Well Once they Were Out I Saw All 4 did Not Have Any Gimbles .Top Gimble was clearly still stuck on platter ,One Gimble i saw near magnet .No Gimble on top cover rubber .2 Gimbles Still Missing " Possible Stuck On Under Platter surface .How Can i Take Those Out And Proceed With Such a Case .

pcn

Hi Amabir,

Do you mean the gimbal or slider stuck to the platters? I just finished a case of a Seagate green 2 TB that was dropped badly and 5 out of 6 sliders were left on the platters. It was a fun job to remove these :twisted: but managed it using one of the ER-Tools for WD drives. We managed to recover 99% of the data after sliders removed and headstack changed. It might also work with Samsung M8 tool but you have to be very careful not to scratch the surface (remove ramp, insert m8 tool and slowly turn the platter until you feel the slider). Other way: remove the platters and try to remove it using a .2 .1 fishing line. Good luck!

LarrySabo

You could also try to push the sliders off the platters using a cleanroom swab. Jared has reported doing this successfully.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":2n894esz said:
You could also try to push the sliders off the platters using a cleanroom swab. Jared has reported doing this successfully.

Yep, takes a lot of rubbing with a soft knit swab, but they do eventually pop free and go flying off.

pcn":3umzf9n1 said:
Hi Amabir,

Do you mean the gimbal or slider stuck to the platters? I just finished a case of a Seagate green 2 TB that was dropped badly and 5 out of 6 sliders were left on the platters. It was a fun job to remove these :twisted: but managed it using one of the ER-Tools for WD drives. We managed to recover 99% of the data after sliders removed and headstack changed. It might also work with Samsung M8 tool but you have to be very careful not to scratch the surface (remove ramp, insert m8 tool and slowly turn the platter until you feel the slider). Other way: remove the platters and try to remove it using a .2 .1 fishing line. Good luck!

Sorry PCN ,
I Means The Slider .Will Try Your Suggestion Great Idea

LarrySabo":z96hxq3y said:

Mr Larry ,
This Could Be Ok for Top Platter Is This also Good For Platter Surfaces Down ?

Jared":8gzdyte3 said:
LarrySabo":8gzdyte3 said:

Yep, takes a lot of rubbing with a soft knit swab, but they do eventually pop free and go flying off.

Jared ,
What Do You Mean By rubbing ? You Mean Keep Swab On It And then Rub :eek:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much. If you use good swabs, knit ESD rated swabs, they are safe to rub on the platter (yes I know that sounds like a bad idea). The last few I've done that way recovered nearly every last sector. So I've definitely confirmed that the rubbing doesn't hurt, at least not with the swabs I'm using.

Hello ,
I Have Now Learned This ,One Day I got a case where all 4 sliders were broken and stuck on the platter surface .I Got a Nylon Thread Made a Hook of It .Used Tape Method To Take Both Platters Out ,Platters were literally in my hands and removed all 4 sliders ,put platters back new heads and bingo it was a st1000lm024 :D