[DDrescue] breaking 1TB HDD image into small portions, possible?

Misty

Hello! First timer here and thanks to a lot of digging I stumbled upon this wonderful website. :)

I've been following these instructions :
https://www.data-medics.com/forum/h...ive-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133.html

The problem for me is that I don't have enough space to create a 1TB image file to scan with R-studio so my question is :

Is it possible to break this process into for example 200GB images that eventually stack up to 1TB or would that jeopardize the data for rescuing?

The reason is that I have a laptop that's completely clean and ready to do this except it's only 250 GB and I wanted to be completely sure that this option is not available before I take drastic measures and create a 'recovery rig' so to speak.

Thanks for reading :D

pclab

Welcome!!

You should create a complete image, or else you will get partial data, causing data corruption.

Misty

Oh wow! What a fast reply. Thanks for your welcome!

Okay so there's a zero chance I can do it like that. Glad to have it confirmed. Thank you again! :) :d

gps31

use also hxd editor to view the sectors and note the last sector of data copied (check backward from end sector)