Best way to sell this to customer...

slingshot

I keep coming up against this issue and was wondering how you guys deal with it / sell it to customer ?

The drive brand doesn't matter, although it's typically seagate or wd.

The issue:
  • The drive needs heads, but there are also some surface problems, so it will be physically impossible to image 100% of the drive.
    The drive is Mac formatted, HFS+ or APFS, doesn't really matter, but has to be apple.
    The data is typically archived data, not from a system drive.
    The job usually means they are buying donor parts.
    The processing of the data is usually several days as its normally 3+ TB's
    Customer wants it all but can't quite understand what a partial recovery entails. Will my iPhoto still work, will my Lightroom still work they ask ?

If imaged using DE, obviously it can split the data into good + bad, but if split like that, how do you know the answers to customers questions ? How do you know that all those damaged files that have been separated out, won't cause Lightroom to crash the moment they begin working it ?

The question
Whats the best way to handle this type of scenario for both me and the customer ?

I want to give the customer the best results possible but I also don't want to waste valuable time and resources resulting in not getting paid.

Thanks as always guys :)

LarrySabo

Oops! Just realized this (below) doesn't really address the question. If heads are required to determine what is recoverable, they have to pay for the donor before it is ordered and agree that if the required data is not recoverable, they owe just the cost of the donor (which they will have paid for in advance and under the condition that no refunds will be issued, no matter the outcome). Sometimes, I also get them to commit to an attempt fee in advance.

=================
I try opening a random selection of files (and types) the customer deems critical to be considered a successful recovery. It's up to them to accept/reject the recovery if one or more won't open but no recovered data will be provided until they accept it as successful and pay the invoice.

I also offer to hold a remote support session so they can verify for themselves that things work as required, but they are not allowed to upload any of the recovered data -- just open/look at it. To do this, I use AnyDesk with the "switch sides" function This also works well for browsing pictures, which otherwise I e-mail as contact sheets of thumbnails for critical folders. I also make it clear that there will be no refunds after the data is accepted.

If you don't have the resources to open and run the files or type in question, that's a problem but it might be possible for then to provide it just to prove that things works as required.

slingshot

Hi Larry

Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed response.

Like you, we do charge for donors upfront if they are needed, however, there seems to be some conflicting thoughts about doing it this way though, which I find strange. There are some guys who think this is a bad way to do business and is tantamount to scamming your customer :roll: I wonder how these guys can tell there customer what data is recoverable without replacing the parts required to do so ?

Typically, I can handle a partial recovery without fuss from most other types of file systems, but the Apple ones seem to come with their own unique set of concerns. With the odd partial recovery involving iPhoto, this can be mounted on an equivalent system and see if it works, bit faffy but its doable, whereas something like Lightroom, or final cut, you need these tools to test the data set, which is much more involved and less practical.

I'm sure Jarad or Luke must have faced this problem many times before, I wonder how they deal with it :?:

pclab

I started to do one thing lately: get a real percentage of good files (I'm doing this with a software from https://trcdatarecovery.com/software-apps) which can provide it.
I also tell my clients that I consider a good recovery, if the percentage of good files is 70/80% or more. In case I see that the drives was already opened or messed up, I lower it to 40/50%. I case I get those percentages, the client have to pay.

slingshot

When you say real percentage, are you saying that the 3K isn't accurate with its calculation of good/bads ?

Also, what is the software you are referring to on that site ? I don't see anything that would do what you're saying.

Thanks

LarrySabo

"ValiData Viewer For Windows

ValiData Viewer for PC is a utility designed for our customers so that they can see the data that we have recovered prior to paying for their recovery."

However, I have never come across a DRL file -- the only type of file this program opens. No idea how one creates such a file, unless it's created by PC3K, which I don't have.

pclab

You need another app they have to create those reports. It's still under development, but I have a beta version they provided me.

The Validata is only the viewer.

LarrySabo

Thanks, Nuno. Rather useless then without that unreleased app? Strange that they would publish the viewer then, unless there is something else out there that produces DRL files?

pclab

It was out once, but removed I believe because of more tests and improvements to be made.
But I can tell you: it works great!