datahaze
Data Recovery Novice

Best way to export to single file image in data extractor?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:42 am

It seems data extractor has a number of ways to export an image to a single-file raw image like ones created by dd, but I don't find any of them particularly reliable. Sometimes this is needed when another data recovery tool is needed for the logical portion of the recovery. Whenever the system is under a decent load, data extractor always gives me a "error write to file!" and I have to start the whole export process over again. No other tools I am using seem to have this problem, so I'm guessing it's data extractor being really choosy about timeouts. So now when doing exports I basically have to leave data extractor and ONLY data extractor running.

Anybody else encounter this? Any fix or workaround you've been using? I found mounting the image as a drive in Windows (after applying MBR fix) and imaging it with another tool was more reliable but is obviously slow and painfully indirect.

lcoughey
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:52 am

Why not just scan the mounted image? I always do drive-to-drive clones, so portability isn't an issue for me.

pc3000
Data Recovery Novice

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:22 pm

I use the image all the time
(It is known that there is a disagreement between the professional data recovery what is better)
I had no such problem

Return to “PC-3000 Forum”