Best method of storage arrangement of donor drives ?

slingshot

Im looking for advice on how best to organise the storage of my donor drives.

I have circa 500 3.5's and roughly the same in 2.5's but aside from branding and size is there a more efficient solution ?

How do you guys organise yours ?

Thanks in advance.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, what we do is just separate them by brand (WD, Seagate, HGST, etc.) and put them into numbered bins which each hold around 10 drives. Then we keep an excel sheet with full specs of each drive listed and the bin number listed. So when I need a drive, I just look it up in my Excel sheet, go to that numbered bin, and I only have to look through 10 drives to find it.

I know some other companies like to separate drives by family and whatnot, but it honestly only takes 30 seconds to find the right drive in a bin of 10 drives.

slingshot

Thanks, Ive just had them by brands and then sizes but theres so many to dig through LoL, but I certainly should create a searchable document :cool:

Ive seen them somewhere, racks of them arranged by the head code, thought that was quite cool... but perhaps a little too OCD at this moment in time.

Is there a way to identify the family of the drive without having a PC3000 to connect it to ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":3uo93q35 said:
[post]9114[/post] Is there a way to identify the family of the drive without having a PC3000 to connect it to ?

If it's a WD drive you can search the family here: wd-family-search-t1778.html

For Seagate, I'd probably just separate them by 7200.11, 7200.10, 7200.9, DM Series, etc.

pclab

I have them all mixed up in boxes using some plastic or foam dividers, but I created an Access Database, where I can search for the details I enter and then know where it is.