Bad ST3160815AS - Where do I start?

bigun

I'll start by saying this is *NOT* an emergency, my data is 100% safe, and I usually just drill press and discard my bad drives. However, after having several members of my family not heed my warning about local and offsite backups, I've decided to maybe dig into HDD repair and recovery so maybe I can save their butts one day.

So I'll start with this particular drive. I found a stack of drives I wanted to get rid of, began wiping the drives using a 7 pass method, this one wouldn't even be recognized by the linux kernel at all, dmesg shows literally nothing. The drive makes no abnormal noise and seems to spin up just fine.

As far as my toolset goes, I have nothing in terms of tools specific to HDD/SDD recovery, but I'm extremely familiar with Windows and Linux environments.

And yes, after this thing gets fixed, it's going to get wiped and tossed.

pclab

For Seagate you should at least get a way to access terminal. That way you will see what's the drive behavior and indicate the next procedure.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You need to get a TTL adapter and connect to the terminal port of the PCB. There's plenty of information online about how to connect to a Seagate drive, so I'm not going to bother googling it for you.