Backup of NRG prior to Translator Calculation

hddguy

I often see cases of Seagate where clients or previous DR shops have reconstructed the translator over terminal without preserving non resident list. Sometimes these can be resolved fully automatically via the Recover Translator in PC3000, sometimes it can be done partly automated and part manual intervnetion, other times it can be a real nightmare to resolve, especially when taking into account errors that relate to the MC!.

For this I want to show how to save NRG via its system file.

It should be worth noting that on some occasions the output from 'V40' is dependent on the NRGL actually loading with the translator. If it does not load, the output may be empty where in actual fact there are defects that need to be taken into account.

Attempt to load NRGL over system files by selecting 'Tools -> View and edit resources -> System file' and entering the address 'Volume 3, File ID 0035, Copy 0'. If this fails, then you will need to load it from the surface first. This is done at T> with command 'F3 T>r35' - once the T> is returned the file can be read using the first step above.

Once read, right click within the window consisting of the NRGL data, and select 'save to file'.

Some other useful files to take into account are:

3,17A,0 - Smart related tables - often associated with Sim Error 1009 fault.
0,20D,0 - CFW Overlay (vol 0x00 File ID 0x020D - CFW overlay)
3,01b,0 - P-List
3,028,0 - RW operations (translator)
3,093,0 - Saved Mode Pages (HDD ID edit)
3,035,0 - NRGL
3,135,0 - SMART

LarrySabo

Although I don't have a PC3K or even an MRT Pro, I do appreciate the tutorials and sharing, HDDGuy! Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, very informative! :D

Just a quick question. Assuming you do back up the NRG before translator regeneration, what is your method to restore it back afterward?

Do you write back system file 35, or do you manually add in the defects to another defect list?

mikem

One way is to sysfile 035 from the drive to the sysfile-editor, then load the file from disk to the editor and write - do for both copies.

mikem":3pcz6tqx said:
One way is to sysfile 035 from the drive to the sysfile-editor, then load the file from disk to the editor and write - do for both copies.

Well,
Are you saying we write 35h sys file back to hdd after translator regeneration ,What Happens After That The Partial Access Problem Gets Solved i do not think so .Here see a thread i created and see the replies -> http://forum.acelaboratory.com/viewtopi ... 154&t=9521 .Aj2008 Comments Were use m0,6,3 Command to regenerate translator and it should take into account this NRG list entries and regenerate translator ,Next time i will try this .Then He Says i backup translator module not sys file and restore it back after translator regeneration that too i have never tried .Then he says if indeed a mess-up has happened there is a method to add entries to slip list and again regenerate translator i think flag 20 has to be setup in that case for entries in slip list and i had one drive recently were filipp from acelab worked on that partial accessed drive and solved issue like this only .

mikem_2

The poster asked for ways to write mod 35 back. The same method applies to all modules.

Admin: I forgot password to account mikem but the password retrieval is not working.