Apple 2013+ SSD 12+16 pins adapter

slingshot

I'm trying to find a way to connect this via SATA.

I've got the 12+16 pcie to USB board but cant interface that with the 3K or the DDI4.

I've got the 12+16 pcie to m.2 but the notch is in the wrong place for m.2 to sata

Is there a way to do it or am I at a brick wall here ?

slingshot

lcoughey":2yqkh4m3 said:
Pictures make answering such questions a lot easier.
IMG_1021.JPG 12+16 pin SSD

IMG_1023.JPG USB adapter

IMG_1024.JPG M.2 adapter

IMG_1025.JPGM.2 to sata Notch in wrong place

IMG_1027.JPGM.2 to sata Notch in wrong place

Does that help highlight my dilemma ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is you're trying to put a PCIe SSD into a SATA connection. But it doesn't have SATA lanes, thus the reason the notch is keyed differently because it's not going to work.

slingshot

Jared":3h390o3r said:
The problem is you're trying to put a PCIe SSD into a SATA connection. But it doesn't have SATA lanes, thus the reason the notch is keyed differently because it's not going to work.

So my next question is :D .... How can I get this SSD hooked up then, surely there must be a way ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, no way to connect it to a SATA channel that I've ever found. If the SSD is still functional you can image it in a PCIe adapter using ddrescue in Linux, but if it's not being recognized, you're stuck for now.

I'm sure eventually Ace will cook up a tool for these, but it's not here yet.

slingshot

Ace need to get on top of it pronto. We see quite a few of these, mainly liquid damaged, but being unable to do much with them is frustrating.
I did wonder if the USB add-on for the DDI4 would be any good at handling them ? Maybe Luke knows if thats so ? Suppose could always image working ones in R-Studio but if its working, whats the point LoL.

slingshot

Ok so its possible via the DDI SSD add-on but success rates are @ 20% :shock:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHzfwSxt3c4[/bbvideo]